Wireless Access

Contributor I

Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

Hi,

I have two 7240's in a Master-Standby setup with VRRP, where all AP's terminate on the Master controller. The other controller is hot standby. They are both in the same subnet.

If I want to implement Fast Failover, what should be the values of the LMS & backup-LMS IP?
The Aruba bootcamp book is saying to enter the VIP, some forums tell me to enter only the LMS-IP and leave the backup-IP field blank. I've also found an Aruba page, telling me the LMS fields are "optional".

Guru Elite

Re: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

Please see "Migrating from VRRP Redundancy" here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvMigration.htm%3FTocPath%3DVirtual%2520Router%2520Redundancy%2520Protocol%2520(VRRP)%7C_____6

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Thanks a lot, didn't came across that page yet. I found this page, but I notice that this is probably for AOS 6.3:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvFastFailover.htm

If I understand correctly, to setup Fast Failover in a VRRP based setup, set the mode to "dual" is a must?

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

Yes

EDIT:  No.

EDIT:  YES.

Explanation:

Back in 6.3.x, we could not support HA and Master Redundancy, with DUAL.   In 6.4 We could, that is why the instructions are different.  I apologize for the confusion. 

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Thanks again. One additional question.

I have preempt configured on the VRRP groups, as well on the HA group.

Is it best practise to enable LMS preemption in that case?

Contributor I

[ Edited ]

Can't seem to find these steps in the link you provided, only thing I find is setting it up as "dual":

That Active/standby mode came from the 6.3 document.

this is from the link you provided:

Migrating from VRRP Redundancy

Perform the following steps to migrate from VRRP to High-Availability redundancy:

1. Remove the VRRP IP address as the LMS IP address of the AP.

(host) (AP system profile) #no lms-ip

2. Configure the AP to use the active controller’s IP address (not VRRP the IP address) as the LMS-IP for the AP.

(host) (AP system profile) #lms-ip <ipaddress>

3. Configure the AP to use the standby controller IP address (not VRRP the IP address) as the backup LMS-IP for the AP.

(host) (AP system profile) #bkup-lms-ip <ipaddress>

4. Configure the master controller with a dual role in the high-availability group profile.

(host) (config) #ha group-profile grp1

(host) (HA group information "grp1"): controller <ipaddress> role dual

5. Configure the standby controller with a dual role in the high-availability group profile.

(host) (HA group information "grp1"): controller <ipaddress> role dual

Guru Elite

The answer is Yes.

Explanation:

Back in 6.3.x, we could not support HA and Master Redundancy, with DUAL.   In 6.4 We can, that is why the instructions are different.  I apologize for the confusion. 

Colin Joseph

Contributor I

All clear now! thanks a lot.

Currently I'm doing preemption on the HA. Should I then also enable LMS-preemption?

Guru Elite

Yes, you should.

Colin Joseph

Contributor I

Hi Joseph,

I'm been thinking more about the setup I have now, and I'm wondering:

If the controllers are in a L3 VRRP setup (Active/Standby), is HA: Fast Failover still necessary.

- If the active controller fails, VRRP will switch over to the Standby controller

- All AP's will still terminate on the VRRP VIP address.

- HA won't have any effect in this scenario.

So I'm starting to think I don't need HA Fast Failover in my setup?

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: