Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Find mac of user connected to E1 wired port of access point

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Find mac of user connected to E1 wired port of access point

Posted Jun 22, 2012 05:51 PM

Hello,

Is there a CLI command I can run that will show me:
    if there is a user connected to E1 on my AP 70's or AP 125's,
    and is there a command that will show me their mac address?

(The profiles for tunneling users back to the controller are set up)

I have been searching and poking around for a command like this for a while.

Thanks 

• 2.  RE: Find mac of user connected to E1 wired port of access point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2012 06:52 PM

A couple ideas:

- Do what I usually tell my customers; make the AP ports "untrusted" but with an "allow all" policy, so that now any device that plugs in shows up in your user table, and by extension, Airwave if you have that.

- I think "show datapath route-cache ap-name [name]" might show it to you, look for an entry with "A" flag... I'm not 100% on this.

The first entry will definitely make your issue go away though... just be careful making that change that you don't affect more profiles than you intend. :)

ArubaMike

• 3.  RE: Find mac of user connected to E1 wired port of access point

Posted Jun 25, 2012 02:29 PM

This won't show on a per AP basis, but you can try the following commands to see all users connected to ports on APs/RAPs.  

• show user | include 0/1 ( This should show users connected to port 1 of an AP/RAP.     You can also use 0/2, 0/3, 0/4 for the other ports on a RAP-5.)
    • show user | include Wired (must be capital W; depening on your environment, this may or may not produce the best results)

I suppose if you know the AP-Name, you can just run the following.  it will also show you wireless users, but you can look for the Wired state column for the wired users.

• show user | include AP-NAME (actual name and capitalization)

I don't believe AOS supports multiple | commands like Cisco; otherwise you could run show user include the AP name and Wired.

As Mike suggested, if you have AirWave, you can also find this information.

• 4.  RE: Find mac of user connected to E1 wired port of access point

Posted Jun 25, 2012 05:25 PM

Thanks, I will look at doing the untrusted setting so the wired users get into the user table and I can search for them.

• 5.  RE: Find mac of user connected to E1 wired port of access point

Posted May 24, 2013 02:47 PM

show ap monitor arp-cache ap-name <ap-name>

My fellow engineer Sam found this command by doing a "show ap tech-support ap-name <ap-name>" command.  This will show you the IP and Mac of the devices that are connected to the physical port of the AP.