Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Force RAP enets to bounce when LMS switchover occurs

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Force RAP enets to bounce when LMS switchover occurs

Posted Jul 07, 2014 12:45 PM

I've noticed that when RAPs fail over to their backup LMS any wired tunneled/split-tunneled devices maintain their IP from controller they were previously on.  This is a problem when your primary and backup LMS have different IP space because the client is hanging on to an invalid IP.  As far as I can tell when switchover occurs, the physical interfaces do not bounce, so the wired client never senses the network changing so their IP is retained.  Is there anyway to force a port to bounce when LMS switchover occurs?  This would solve my problem.

• 2.  RE: Force RAP enets to bounce when LMS switchover occurs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2014 01:02 PM

thecompnerd,

Are those devices plugged directly into the RAP, or a switch?  Also, you should disable Remote AP-backup on your enet profile so that it does not attempt to keep the ethernet interfaces up during failover.

• 3.  RE: Force RAP enets to bounce when LMS switchover occurs

Posted Jul 07, 2014 01:10 PM

They're directly connected to the RAP.

Thanks for the tip.  Are you suggesting this will resolve the issue in my situation or would it only help if both primary/backup LMS are unreachable?

• 4.  RE: Force RAP enets to bounce when LMS switchover occurs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2014 01:25 PM
    I suggesting it could help resolve your issue.

• 5.  RE: Force RAP enets to bounce when LMS switchover occurs

Posted Jul 07, 2014 03:42 PM

Thanks, but no luck.  The computer is maintaining basic connectivity (LED stays on and computer NIC stays active) while the LMS is unavailable.  I left enet0 unplugged for 2 1/2 min so the RAP had no connectivity at all, and the computer's port didn't appear to shutdown.  Is it possible that it's more like a soft-shutdown than a complete shutdown?  Maybe the RAP is just dropping all traffic received on the port?

• 6.  RE: Force RAP enets to bounce when LMS switchover occurs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2014 03:45 PM
    Your config needs to be examined. There are quite a few users who see it within 30 seconds.