Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

Posted Feb 23, 2018 11:14 AM

Hello i got this problem with some clients in which the iphone get disconnected frequently.

I have seen many treads on apple that it seems to be a problem with their IOS specially IOS 11 there are many treads about this issue on the apple community forum.

Anyone was able to fix this with aruba solution? i was wondering if this is a apple issue how does Aruba does on their HQ that i bealieve they got many apple users....   how do they manage this??? or how does guys in general manage this issue???

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

Posted Feb 23, 2018 12:02 PM
    Read this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207459

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

Posted Feb 23, 2018 12:48 PM
    Hello victor this is an open network with clearpass with mac cahing

• 4.  RE: Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

MVP
    Posted Feb 27, 2018 01:44 PM

I'm actually seeing something similar in a hospital environment. Only a few complaints, but it's a guest network with mac caching. In AirWave, we see the client drop multiple times, the graphs for client traffic show a steady line and then a gap, multiple times.

I've thought that if someone locks their phone, drops it into their pocket or sits it on a desk, is there a sleep interval or power setting that may drop the network connection until unlocked again. I also don't know if their DTIM interval or power-save support has any merrit on keeping these devices connected or not.

• 5.  RE: Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

Posted Jul 23, 2018 08:06 AM

IPHONE 802.1X AUTHENTICATION GOES DOWN

Hello,

On a customer site there is the same kind of probleme only with IPHONE, and bad luck, only the top managment is using IPHONE...

The Wi-Fi authentatication of the IPHONE is done using 802.1X/RADIUS NPS/AD. The radius used is not ClearPass, but a Microsoft NPS Radius (a service included Windows Active DIrectory server).

When the IPHONE is well athenticated, the role in radius is "CORP", and all works well.

But , after a moment if the Wi-Fi Iphone connexion goes down, due to an inactivity timer, or the guy is travelling in a lift, or in stairs, the Iphone is no more authenticated, and still unathenticated.

In fact, you can see inradius logs, when the Wi-Fi connexion is coming back on the IPHONE, the IPHONE device is no more authenticated in CORP role, but in DENY_ALL.

It looks like the IPHONE do not play his 802.1X credential when the Wi-Fi physical network connexion is back.

The only way I found to force the IPHONE to reauthentify 802.1X again, is to swith OFF/ON the Wi-Fi on the Iphone control panel, and immediatly the IPHONE play 802.1X reconnexion the role "CORP" is back.

Does anybody have an idea to solve this problem ?

(Wi-Fi ARUBA 130APs: AP105,205,225 - cluster CTRL 7210 - version 6.5.4.3)

• 6.  RE: Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2018 08:14 AM
    Did you enable user debugging to see why the phone disconnects?

• 7.  RE: Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

Posted Jul 23, 2018 08:44 AM
    Hello,
    Thank you for your prompt message.

Did you enable user debugging to see why the phone disconnects? On the Iphone side? No I didn't.

I've made a debug on the radius. The iphone is deconnected when user goes into an area with no Wi-Fi coverage. When The Iphone comes back in an area with a strong Wi-Fi coverage, the Iphone is not authenticated properly and getting a deny all role.

Alain.

• 8.  RE: Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2018 08:45 AM
    You need to enable debugging for that user on the Aruba controller to understand why it is being placed into deny when it returns.

• 9.  RE: Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

MVP
    Posted Jul 23, 2018 08:29 AM

If I understand your problem correctly - Your user goes into an area with no coverage (stairwell for example), but when they come back to where the Wi-Fi signal exists, they aren't getting authenticated properly and getting a deny all role.

Here's my (2) questions -

1. Are you using Opportunistic Key Caching and Validate PMKID?

2. What logs do you see in Windows NPS? Do you see an authentication attempt? If so, what's the logic resulting in it getting a deny all role?

• 10.  RE: Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

Posted Jul 23, 2018 08:53 AM
    Hi,
    Thank you for your prompt message.

1. Are you using Opportunistic Key Caching and Validate PMKID? --> In fact, I don't know. Can you tell me more about this ?

2. What logs do you see in Windows NPS?

First the radius Connect Result is SUCCESS. (When it works well)

Then the radius Connect Result is UNKNOWN (and it works no more)

And if I switch OFF/ON the Wi-Fi on the IPHONE:

Then, the radius Connect Result is SUCCESS. (And it works well again)

You will see the Cosnnect Result for the IPHONE sduparay:

[cid:image001.png@01D42294.97A25750]

Sur le Radius :
    [cid:image002.png@01D42294.97A25750]

Une en Unknown

[cid:image003.png@01D42294.97A25750]

Alain BERGANTZ

• 11.  RE: Frequent disconnect from iphone devices only

Posted May 16, 2020 04:32 AM

Have tried these to Fix iPhone keeps disconnecting from wifi Problem.
    - Toggling off/on the Auto-Join setting in the network
    - Forgetting the network and reconnecting to it
    - Have tested both my 2.4ghz wifi network and my 5ghz wifi network and it happens on both of them
    - Have tried resetting all network settings
    - Have tried disabling Wi-Fi Networking in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services.

If not then go for all One by One. You will be helped