Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Functionality of MAC Blocking

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Functionality of MAC Blocking

Posted Oct 04, 2017 07:11 PM

I was able to find the directions for how to implement a MAC block and understand that.  I recall from several years ago that for unsecured networks MAC blocking worked by "DOSing" the address trying to connect.  Is this how blocking a MAC from connecting works on wireless routers?

Appreciate your response.

• 2.  RE: Functionality of MAC Blocking

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2017 07:48 PM

You might be mixing two different things:

1. - Rogue AP protection might function by disrupting the connection between the AP  and the rogue client that it is connected to.

2. -MAC Authentication involves either allowing or disallowing devices on an approved mac address list from joining a network.

• 3.  RE: Functionality of MAC Blocking

Posted Oct 04, 2017 08:01 PM

Colin,

Thank you.  I think you are correct.  I recall our legal team telling us we could not block "something" because it effectively cause a DOS against that device.  Now that you job my memory, I think we were looking at disabling rouge WAPs in our environment

Would that be correct if you were trying to prevent systems on your network from connecting to a Rogue WAP, you would block it and that would result in no one being able to connect to it?

That does make more sense because the legal ramifications come into play when you are in an enviroment where other companies WAPs are visible by your network.

Michele

• 4.  RE: Functionality of MAC Blocking

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2017 07:48 PM

You might be mixing two different things:

1. - Rogue AP protection might function by disrupting the connection between the AP  and the rogue client that it is connected to.

2. -MAC Authentication involves either allowing or disallowing devices on an approved mac address list from joining a network.