Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Gain setting for missing antenna

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Gain setting for missing antenna

Posted Oct 04, 2013 07:46 AM

Hello,

We are setting up a point-to-point link using a pair of AP-175s with ANT-2X2-5614 directional antennae.  We'll be using 5GHz for the link, attached to the 5GHz terminals (R0) and no antenna attached to the 2.4GHz (R1) terminals.  There will be no virtual APs on the APs, so they'll just be running the point-to-point mesh link.

When the AP is running, only the R0 lights come on as the R1 radio is effectively dead (as it has no virtual APs and the mesh is using 5GHz).

What gain setting should we put in for the 2.4GHz radio (g-ant-gain) as it is unused and has no antenna?

One post I've seen suggests 0.0, but I don't know if that's a special value meaning "off", or the lower the value the lower the power.

Thanks,

- Bob

• 2.  RE: Gain setting for missing antenna
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 04, 2013 08:37 AM

I would put in a value of 1 into that field, and disable the radio (rather than just leaving it with no VAPs and no Mesh configured on the port )   You can do that under radio profiles.

JF

• 3.  RE: Gain setting for missing antenna

Posted Oct 09, 2013 09:37 PM
    Another option would be to turn the 2.4 radio in to an air monitor or spectrum monitor. I have a hard time turning off a radio when there could be other uses for it.

• 4.  RE: Gain setting for missing antenna

Posted Oct 10, 2013 10:25 AM

You'll have a harder time getting anything accurate out of the radio without an antenna though ;)

Air monitor-ize the ports only if you put appropriate antennas on the ports IMO.

JF

• 5.  RE: Gain setting for missing antenna

Posted Oct 10, 2013 10:30 AM
    You are correct.
    If no antennas don't bother turing them on.