Wireless Access

New Contributor

Google Chromecast into Airgroup

We are attempting to add a google chrome cast into our system via Airgroup and we cannot see to find the correct protocols. We have packet caputred many different devices in an attempt to find the correct protocols. Does anyone have any input.
Thanks in Advance

Guru Elite

Re: Google Chromecast into Airgroup

Chromecast does not support mDNS, it supports DLNA, so it cannot be used with airgroup at this time.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

thanks for the help!

Aruba

Chromecast uses the DIAL protocol:  http://www.dial-multiscreen.org/ for discovery and launch.  I doesen't use mDNS at all, so not sure AirGroup is going to work in this scenario.    

A snipit from the protocol specification:

A DIAL client that wishes to discover DIAL servers shall send an M-SEARCH request as defined in Section 1.3.2 of [1] over UDP to the IPv4 multicast address 239.255.255.250 and UDP port 1900.

------------------------------------------------
Systems Engineer, Northeast USA
ACCX | ACDX | ACMX

Stay tuned for this...we expect continue to improve AirGroup!

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
Occasional Contributor I

Any changes yet?

Guru Elite

Early 2014

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Occasional Contributor II

I'm getting more and more requests for Chromecast to be useable on the network. 

802.1x on these devices would be nice, but if Aruba can get them working through AirGroup that would be a great fix.  Anyone know the ETA on this besides early 2014? 

Guru Elite

Early 2014 is still the only availability information. 

Something else to be aware of:

Whenever the Chromecast is not connected to a client, it broadcasts its chromecast SSID (SoftAP) which has two implications:

1) anyone can connect to the SSID and reconfigure the Chromecast

2) The chromecast is 2.4 GHz only and these devices will overcrowd the spectrum (especially somewhere like a dorm where there may be a lot of devices).

For these reasons, we will most likely not support them until the setup SSID can be disabled.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
New Contributor

Has there been any update on this since Early 2014?

cappalli wrote:

Early 2014 is still the only availability information. 

Something else to be aware of:

Whenever the Chromecast is not connected to a client, it broadcasts its chromecast SSID (SoftAP) which has two implications:

1) anyone can connect to the SSID and reconfigure the Chromecast

2) The chromecast is 2.4 GHz only and these devices will overcrowd the spectrum (especially somewhere like a dorm where there may be a lot of devices).

For these reasons, we will most likely not support them until the setup SSID can be disabled.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: