Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Google Devices not working properly

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Google Devices not working properly

Posted Jan 23, 2018 04:50 PM

Hello Everyone,

I was just wanting to ask if anyone else in a campus setting has had any problems with Google devices like Google Homes or Chromecasts recently. On our campus we've had several students report that their devices that worked in the first semester are now not working. I took the MAC address of a certain Google Home and saw it was connected on one of our local mobility controllers and I could also see the device authenticating properly in Access Tracker in ClearPass. If anyone knows anything about this it would be really helpful.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Google Devices not working properly

Posted Jan 23, 2018 09:24 PM
    I'm unsure about previous Google devices ceasing to function, but I'm about to open a TAC case tomorrow for the Google Home Mini. It's not showing up as an Airgroup Server nor User for the the googlecast airgroup service (verified it matches by inspecting the mdns responses) - running 6.5.3.3.

#AirheadsMobile

• 3.  RE: Google Devices not working properly

Posted Jan 23, 2018 09:24 PM
    I'm unsure about previous Google devices ceasing to function, but I'm about to open a TAC case tomorrow for the Google Home Mini. It's not showing up as an Airgroup Server nor User for the the googlecast airgroup service (verified it matches by inspecting the mdns responses) - running 6.5.3.3.

#AirheadsMobile

• 4.  RE: Google Devices not working properly

Posted Jan 24, 2018 10:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. We're running 6.5.4.3 on our controllers. I have a TAC case open now as well.

• 5.  RE: Google Devices not working properly

Posted Feb 14, 2018 09:17 PM
    Hi DRP, How's your TAC case progressed? I was curious if the affected devices showed up as airgroup servers when you perform a show airgroup servers mdns | include

#AirheadsMobile

• 6.  RE: Google Devices not working properly

Posted Mar 06, 2018 03:13 PM

Hello cbjohns,

It's closed right now because I had no more data or work to do with the tech. I'm going to upgrade our Mobility Controllers to the new 6.5.4.5 code soon because when I was reading the release notes, I saw it solved a similar issue so I will be revisiting this when I perform that upgrade.

• 7.  RE: Google Devices not working properly

Posted Mar 07, 2018 09:41 AM

Thanks for the update. Good luck! It also just occurred to me in addition to checking if the google devices were still showing up as "Airgroup Servers" if the Dashboard Monitor still showed them as "Reachable/Accessible". I discovered a few months ago that prior to 6.5.3.4 and 6.5.4.5 that AirGroup user-names/shared-lists were case-sensitive- which have been resolved in those versions after I worked with TAC - more information on that and the bug down below - http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/ArubaOS-User-Name-Case-Sensitivity-User-Table/m-p/379295#M77930

clients-airgroup.PNG

• 8.  RE: Google Devices not working properly

Posted Aug 26, 2021 09:43 AM
    Hello DRP,
    We have this same issue on our campus. I have reached out to Google on this as well. We have guest registration setup on our network and all IoT devices are working great. The Google devices: home, mini's, nest, cast all do not FULLY work on our network. You can go through the process with the Google Home App, some devices will connect and you can see in controller and Clearpass that the device is on, in the right role, and correct IP.  I can ask Google mini to play music give me weather stats and it appears to work, when I go to the App I can see my device but I can NOT control the device, or cast to the chrome cast. 
    • Now the Google nest will not connect at all. 
    Now talking to Google found out the device during setup looks for the password that you have for the SSID profile. In our case our guest is a captive portal with no password. I am trying to move higher up with Google engineers to see if there is something else they can do.  will update when I find more out. 

Now what I did find out also if you have a Google mini, take it home set it up, bring it back into your campus network, DO NOT reset back to factory default, go through the setup on your campus and it works great and I can control it through the App. Factory defaulted the min and went through setup again and it connected but could not control from App. I tried this 4x's. 

Sorry this doesn't help you get the Google devices on your network.  ;-)

Bill

------------------------------
    Bill Harris
    ------------------------------