Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Graphs for Packet type distribution

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Graphs for Packet type distribution

Posted Mar 10, 2016 02:34 AM
      |   view attached
    Need help in AirWave PLEASE - - is it possible to get the following statistics in AirWave or in a Report? 1. 802.11 Packet Type Distribution 2. Packet Size Distribution If from the Controller's GUI and select an AP, I can get something like this .... (pls see attached) But the pie chart is per AP, per SSID and per radio. I'm more interested if the pie chart can get me what is the total packet type distribution for an AP for a radio (no matter how many VAPs are configured there in one physical AP). Any idea how can I achieve it? Thank you. Regards Kenneth

• 2.  RE: Graphs for Packet type distribution

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2016 07:49 AM

Unfortunately, that is information that is only in the controller, not Airwave AFAIK.

If you tell us what you are trying to achieve, maybe there is another way to get that information.

• 3.  RE: Graphs for Packet type distribution

Posted Mar 10, 2016 09:49 AM

Thanks Colin.

Ok, understand the info is only in the controller.

Quick question: there is only 1 physical AP and hence 1 physical 5 GHz radio and 1 physical 2.4 GHz radio. In the controller, why the graphs for packet size and packet type distribution is per SSID?  If there are 3 VAPs configured, how do I do the Maths?  (I mean, check the graph in each SSID and then add them all up?) 

I'm interested in airtime efficiency. I understand there are some 802.11 control frames that are only sent using OFDM rates. I might be wrong, but I believe control frames are usually very small packet sizes (<64 bytes).  In very high-density 802.11ac network, I want to know how many of those small sizes and slow rate packets are consuming my airtime.  When more airtime is being wasted on these packets, it dramatically dimishes the Effective Data Rates for the payload.

Kind regards

Kenneth

• 4.  RE: Graphs for Packet type distribution

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2016 10:30 AM

Honestly, those graphs have not changed for quite a few years.  Those graphs are  good for information, but we found that with increasing density interference, RF utilization and dropping broadcasts plays a much larger part in performance than packet efficiency.  Back in the day, manufacturers did not write drivers to improve performance; today they do, so effiiency does not play a large part in wireless performance.  On the Dashboard tab on the controller, things like RF utilization, noise and what band a user is on is a better indication of performance.

• 5.  RE: Graphs for Packet type distribution

Posted Mar 10, 2016 03:42 PM

Kenneth,

Yes, control frames are sent at OFDM rates. 24Mbps seems to be most common data rate used.  Perhaps this correlates to the highest basic rate supported by the AP?

If you really want airtime stats you could collect them with a sniffer or AP remote capture and packet capturing software (Savvius Omnipeek is a good option).  Metageek makes software called Eye PA, which takes pcap files and graphs the packets into pie charts showing you the airtime that's utilized.  This will answer your question about airtime utilization..