Wireless Access

Contributor I

Guest bandwidth usage and monitoring with two controllers

Has anyone set up a tool to monitor guest WLAN bandwidth usage? I know that I can do this for a 15 minute window in the dashboard (6.1.3.1 on a 3000). I tried to use our network monitor (Statseeker) to SNMP poll for all interfaces including the VLAN that is used for guest access, but there is no data there, just zero. I was curious if anyone else has ever wanted to know this data or keep it historically.

I also have a question about the controllers and bandwidth limit for guests. I am about to increase our current limits we have set (2 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up) by a meg each, and up until now I thought that this limit was spread across both controllers. When I look at the dashboard graph for WLAN usage for the guest WLAN on both controllers, they are each showing peaks to 2 Mb, so I think this is a limit set per controller. Is that right? The controllers are set up as a master/slave with AP’s spread across them.

Thanks,

Levin

Guru Elite

Re: Guest bandwidth usage and monitoring with two controllers

The limit is set per controller, yes, so your peak rate will be double what you have configured on a single controller.

If you have your controller connected to a switch, you might want to try to use Statseeker on that device, to view the guest VLAN, instead...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Thanks for the reply Joseph. Unfortunately I am not able to separate the guest traffic like that as it is currently a nat in the controller and going out a trunked port, although I am in the process of redesigning to a more secure physical connection from a free port on the controller straight to a Juniper SSG, then I can do just what you suggested.

So since we have the guest firewall policy set with a bandwidth contract of 3 Mb/2 Mb per role, can I further confine that to say 500 Kb per user? That way one user can’t hog all the pipe. When I look at the setting it looks like it is an either per user or per role but not both.

Guru Elite

Make it 500k per user in that role.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Okay, so it sounds like it is either per user or per role, but no option to limit a user to one level then further limit all users to a max level (like a not no exceed limit).

Guru Elite

No, there is not.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: