Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

HP Jetdirect

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  HP Jetdirect

Posted Oct 22, 2012 05:46 PM

Hello all,

My Jetdirect print controllers are not accesible over Wi-Fi anymore. I believe this may be due to a recent code upgrade, but I'm unsure. A technichian made me aware that we are no longer able to search for devices on the internet. I'm under the impression some sort of filter is enabled, but I have no idea were to begin.

• 2.  RE: HP Jetdirect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2012 08:11 PM

Was there an upgrade?

Were there any changes?

You need to give us something to go on...

• 3.  RE: HP Jetdirect

Posted Oct 23, 2012 10:07 AM
    Name:Aruba Operating System Software.
    Model:Aruba6000-US
    Version:6.1.3.3
    Compiled:2012-06-20 at 09:28:49 PDT (build 34156) by p4build

The system was flashed by another engineer in June. Since then, no one can print to the wireless jetdirect devices/printers. Classes were out and we didn't get reports untill the end of August. I'm just now getting the news (bad news).

• 4.  RE: HP Jetdirect

Posted Oct 23, 2012 10:17 AM

More info: 

Old version: I have no idea.

Ping/ICMP: Yes

DHCP: Yes (the jetdirect grabs a reserved address)

Add Printer Wizard in Windows will not find the device.

Print jobs will stay spooled and error out.

• 5.  RE: HP Jetdirect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2012 10:19 AM

The clients might be using broadcasts to find the printers.  Under the Virtual AP profile, you might want try turning off "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" under Configuration> Wireless> AP Configuration.  Edit the AP group that your access points are in.  Expand Wireless Lan.  Expand Virtual AP.  Click on the Virtual AP that your users are connected to.  In the right pane, uncheck "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" and click on apply and see if it changes things.

• 6.  RE: HP Jetdirect

Posted Oct 23, 2012 10:43 AM

According to our infrastructure engineer, we had tried that already and it did not work.

• 7.  RE: HP Jetdirect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2012 10:46 AM

Well, alot of time has passed since June.  We have to know what changes were made to your infrastructure for us to even have a hope of finding out why it does not work.  You might start out by finding out from HP or Microsoft:

- What protocol is used for Windows devices to discover Jetdirect print servers?

- Do those clients need to be on the same subnet to discover those printers?

• 8.  RE: HP Jetdirect

Posted Oct 23, 2012 12:07 PM
    ew2500One USB 2.01 10/100Base-TX Ethernet, 1 802.11b/g Wi-FiTCP/IPv4, TCP/IPv6, AppleTalk, IP Direct Mode, LPR/LPD printing, FTP, IPP, IPX/SPX, DLC/LLC, Novell NetWare NDS, NetWare Bindery, Novell iPrint

- What protocol is used for Windows devices to discover Jetdirect print servers? From above, we use TCP/IPv4 which is used for discovery.

- Do those clients need to be on the same subnet to discover those printers? Yes they need to be on the same subnet, and they are on the same subnet.

We were using captive portal, but that was disabled for testing. The reults were the same, and we could not discover the devices or print.  I'm going to start a wireshark capture and attach it to a post.

• 9.  RE: HP Jetdirect

Posted Oct 23, 2012 12:14 PM

I would like to note that one of our technichians stated that he was unable to view shared network devices (i.e. personal laptops, gaming devies, etc.) on public-wireless when the code change was made. The Jet-direct devices are on public wireless.

• 10.  RE: HP Jetdirect

Posted Oct 23, 2012 12:26 PM

I'm unable to attach a wireshark capture.

• 11.  RE: HP Jetdirect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2012 01:44 PM

One place that he can check is the general controller firewall settings:

Configuration> Advanced> Stateful Firewall.

Make sure that Deny Inter User Bridging, Deny Inter User Traffic are unchecked.

• 12.  RE: HP Jetdirect

Posted Oct 24, 2012 03:17 PM

That has already been done.

• 13.  RE: HP Jetdirect

Posted Nov 05, 2012 04:47 PM

I was able to get a TrendNet device setup to allow printing. When using the wireshark capture I saw:

Ping to the IP using IGMP protocol

Pulled up the properties of the printer and saw SNMP traffic

Setup a new printer and saw TCP traffic (ACK, PSH, FIN)

When trying to connect through the Aruba device, I didn't get any of this. We've also had problems with captive portal and connectivity with some devices, mainly handheld. Our Infrastructure engineer who works with the wireless set an open Group, and still nothing.

Like I said before, we didn't have problems untill the last upgrade. I've had no resolution and we've been down since the Summer.

• 14.  RE: HP Jetdirect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2012 06:58 PM
    If you have been down and this is important, please open a support case if you have not already.

• 15.  RE: HP Jetdirect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2012 07:00 PM
    Did you make sure that you are not blocking anything? Many printers rely on SNMP to open the printer's queue ..

• 16.  RE: HP Jetdirect

Posted Nov 13, 2012 03:30 PM

I reported what I could to the Engineer in charge. Unfortunately access to the controller is locked down. If I'd been here for 15 years, they'd probably let me have more control.

I believe he'd been working with a  tech from Aruba. The problem still exists. I'm thinking there must be some compatibility issue with the latest code upgrade, or some serious ignorance on the part of our engineer and the Aruba tech. I'm a brain with no body, it gets frustraiting having to help someone or ask for help, when no one can help.

I'm done, we can close this thread. There will not be a fix to this. If anyone is reading this and has success with an HP Jet direct device, please post something. Otherwise, I warn you all that there is not current fix for my issue, which is simple connectivity to a wireless jet-direct device (EW2500).

• 17.  RE: HP Jetdirect

Posted Sep 29, 2014 05:43 PM

Anyone following this posting, there was a resolution by Aruba but not from this thread. Please find another thread that can help, this one is a dead end.