Wireless Access

JWG
Occasional Contributor II

HP Jetdirect

Hello all,

My Jetdirect print controllers are not accesible over Wi-Fi anymore. I believe this may be due to a recent code upgrade, but I'm unsure. A technichian made me aware that we are no longer able to search for devices on the internet. I'm under the impression some sort of filter is enabled, but I have no idea were to begin.

Guru Elite

Re: HP Jetdirect

Was there an upgrade?

Were there any changes?

You need to give us something to go on...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

JWG

Name:Aruba Operating System Software.
Model:Aruba6000-US
Version:6.1.3.3
Compiled:2012-06-20 at 09:28:49 PDT (build 34156) by p4build

The system was flashed by another engineer in June. Since then, no one can print to the wireless jetdirect devices/printers. Classes were out and we didn't get reports untill the end of August. I'm just now getting the news (bad news).

JWG

More info: 

Old version: I have no idea.

Ping/ICMP: Yes

DHCP: Yes (the jetdirect grabs a reserved address)

Add Printer Wizard in Windows will not find the device.

Print jobs will stay spooled and error out.

Guru Elite

The clients might be using broadcasts to find the printers.  Under the Virtual AP profile, you might want try turning off "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" under Configuration> Wireless> AP Configuration.  Edit the AP group that your access points are in.  Expand Wireless Lan.  Expand Virtual AP.  Click on the Virtual AP that your users are connected to.  In the right pane, uncheck "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" and click on apply and see if it changes things.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

JWG

According to our infrastructure engineer, we had tried that already and it did not work.

Guru Elite

Well, alot of time has passed since June.  We have to know what changes were made to your infrastructure for us to even have a hope of finding out why it does not work.  You might start out by finding out from HP or Microsoft:

- What protocol is used for Windows devices to discover Jetdirect print servers?

- Do those clients need to be on the same subnet to discover those printers?

Colin Joseph

JWG

ew2500One USB 2.01 10/100Base-TX Ethernet, 1 802.11b/g Wi-FiTCP/IPv4, TCP/IPv6, AppleTalk, IP Direct Mode, LPR/LPD printing, FTP, IPP, IPX/SPX, DLC/LLC, Novell NetWare NDS, NetWare Bindery, Novell iPrint

- What protocol is used for Windows devices to discover Jetdirect print servers? From above, we use TCP/IPv4 which is used for discovery.

- Do those clients need to be on the same subnet to discover those printers? Yes they need to be on the same subnet, and they are on the same subnet.

We were using captive portal, but that was disabled for testing. The reults were the same, and we could not discover the devices or print.  I'm going to start a wireshark capture and attach it to a post.

JWG

I would like to note that one of our technichians stated that he was unable to view shared network devices (i.e. personal laptops, gaming devies, etc.) on public-wireless when the code change was made. The Jet-direct devices are on public wireless.

JWG

I'm unable to attach a wireshark capture.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: