Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Has anyone had any success integrating Shoretel Mobility Client with Aruba Wireless? What issues?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Has anyone had any success integrating Shoretel Mobility Client with Aruba Wireless? What issues?

Posted Nov 26, 2013 02:49 PM

Has anyone had any success integrating Shoretel Mobility Client with Aruba Wireless?  What issues?

• 2.  RE: Has anyone had any success integrating Shoretel Mobility Client with Aruba Wireless? What issues?

Posted Nov 26, 2013 11:48 PM

Pete -- We havent heard any issues as such with Shortel Mobility client. It would be great if you can describe more about any issues that you are facing so that I can help you.

Thank you.

• 3.  RE: Has anyone had any success integrating Shoretel Mobility Client with Aruba Wireless? What issues?

Posted Dec 02, 2013 07:02 AM

Issues we are seeing is that we have good wireless signal, but poor voice quality.  Sometimes you can hear the other person, sometimes you cant.  We use a generic SIP app and it works better than the Shoretel mobility client.  is there any recommended settings on the Aruba wireless for Shoretel?  An intergration guide?

• 4.  RE: Has anyone had any success integrating Shoretel Mobility Client with Aruba Wireless? What issues?

Posted Dec 24, 2014 02:33 PM

We are currently experiencing an issue where calls from or to a shoretel mobility client will be dropped after 2 minutes and 30 seconds.  We've run packet captures and taken logs from the shortel equipment, thus far things seem to be pointing in the direction of the Aruba wireless we have.  

The reason the call is dropping is because the SIP update messages being sent by the mobility client are not making it to the mobility router, thus after so many attempts at sending it, Goodbye messages will be exchanged and the call will be dropped.  

I have run some packet captures both on the aruba controller itself and off of our switch the controller is attached to....reviewing traces taken directly from the controller were not useful as the traffic is tunneled and all I see are 802.11 frames, no actual endpoint traffic.  The traces taken from the switch were much more helpful, as I can see the mobility client send the first SIP update but after that no further updates come in, even though the clients logs say otherwise.  

I think we are at a point where we will be engaging Aruba TAC and providing them with the traces and logs we've taken thus far.

Anyone heard of this?

• 5.  RE: Has anyone had any success integrating Shoretel Mobility Client with Aruba Wireless? What issues?

Posted Jul 01, 2015 01:40 PM

@dhart wrote:

We are currently experiencing an issue where calls from or to a shoretel mobility client will be dropped after 2 minutes and 30 seconds.  We've run packet captures and taken logs from the shortel equipment, thus far things seem to be pointing in the direction of the Aruba wireless we have.  

The reason the call is dropping is because the SIP update messages being sent by the mobility client are not making it to the mobility router, thus after so many attempts at sending it, Goodbye messages will be exchanged and the call will be dropped.  

I have run some packet captures both on the aruba controller itself and off of our switch the controller is attached to....reviewing traces taken directly from the controller were not useful as the traffic is tunneled and all I see are 802.11 frames, no actual endpoint traffic.  The traces taken from the switch were much more helpful, as I can see the mobility client send the first SIP update but after that no further updates come in, even though the clients logs say otherwise.  

I think we are at a point where we will be engaging Aruba TAC and providing them with the traces and logs we've taken thus far.

Anyone heard of this?

Just wondering if there was every any resolution to this. We just implemented SMR last week, and testing seemed fine, but we apparently never tested more than 2 minutes 30 seconds, as calls for us are dropping then as well.

• 6.  RE: Has anyone had any success integrating Shoretel Mobility Client with Aruba Wireless? What issues?

Posted Jul 01, 2015 01:54 PM

After testing thoroughly with ATAC and being able to reproduce the issue every time with Android based phones, the temporary fix was to just turn off the stateful SIP processing (alg) on the controller.  Once we did that, the calls went through uninterrupted.  After reviewing several packet captures, ATAC is convinced that the Android ShoreTel mobility client is sending traffic on a non standard port and is getting dropped by the controller.  Its been awhile so the details aren't as fresh in my mind but we basically just decided to turn off the stateful sip processing.  We felt like we had spent enough time taking packet captures, etc. that we did not want to pursue involving ShoreTel to investigate their mobility client.  

• 7.  RE: Has anyone had any success integrating Shoretel Mobility Client with Aruba Wireless? What issues?

Posted Jul 01, 2015 05:05 PM

@dhart wrote:

After testing thoroughly with ATAC and being able to reproduce the issue every time with Android based phones, the temporary fix was to just turn off the stateful SIP processing (alg) on the controller.  Once we did that, the calls went through uninterrupted.  After reviewing several packet captures, ATAC is convinced that the Android ShoreTel mobility client is sending traffic on a non standard port and is getting dropped by the controller.  Its been awhile so the details aren't as fresh in my mind but we basically just decided to turn off the stateful sip processing.  We felt like we had spent enough time taking packet captures, etc. that we did not want to pursue involving ShoreTel to investigate their mobility client.  

That worked for me. Thank you so much for your help!

• 8.  RE: Has anyone had any success integrating Shoretel Mobility Client with Aruba Wireless? What issues?

Posted Nov 27, 2013 05:52 AM

It depends in what sense you mean integrating?

My team Shoretel guys tell me it's just another IPT softclient. I'd therefore expect the application to set QoS requirements. Whether the client device nic honours them is another matter!

Of course, as it's SIP (so I'm reliably informed), there is an argument to say if you had a PEF, you could prioritise the SIP traffic regardless.