Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Help on Design Outdoor WLAN

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Help on Design Outdoor WLAN

Posted Aug 30, 2012 08:50 PM

Need help in designing a WLAN that will allow Alpine ski race video to be downloaded to computer, from multiple locations on race course. Based on what I am interested in obtaining it appears that a point to point system is what is needed and this system can be closed since most ski hills/mountain have limited access workable wifi on the course.  What I know is limited and this is why I am asking for some design help.  Device to be used most likely will be an EYE-Fi chip enabled Canon CamCorder that will be in link with a localized router with appropriate antenna in a point to point system linked to a laptop that will communicate hopefully with instant or near instant downloads to Ipads and Ipods of the the Alpine racer that has just finished his run during training or racing.

The courses can range from 200 meters up to 800 meters with topology issues that will most likely require multiple routing or relay stations in order to obtain point to point visibility also a battery supported system will be needed since hillside power is not usually available. So the question would be what router would be appropriate and would I use routers at each location of a tower or is there other options also what type of antenna would be needed to relay this to the laptop located at the bottom of the hill and how difficult would enabling the info to be read by the Ipad and Ipod.  The Antenna tower most likely would need some adjustably based on topology and location in order to obtain clear visibility to the next location. I would like to use one system of components t insure compatibility. Building this system is a little concern but more of a concern is software setup so a software system that is pretty straight forward would be much preferred.    Thank You.

• 2.  RE: Help on Design Outdoor WLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2012 09:15 AM

Your project is significantly compex enough to warrant discussion with a partner or your local Aruba Sales Engineer.  Outdoor deployments are are very complex, and your situation is no different.  I would contact a consultant to make sure that you obtain the right solution for this.

• 3.  RE: Help on Design Outdoor WLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2012 01:52 PM

I second Colin's comment, there's a lot of moving parts to this kind of solution (power, antennas, height, client access areas, etc).

I can see though, for that kind of deployment, you will want to use what we call a 'linear mesh' solution. This involves using our MSR 2000/4000 and MST200 series APs. If you read through our Outdoor Networks VRD (at the link below starting at page 70 and 120), you can build a high-speed, full throughput linear mesh using the MSR2000/4000/MST-200 APs along the course or lifts. Those APs, and using directional 5GHz antnenas with mid-gain omni antennas for client access should accomplish what you need.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/#Outdoor_Mesh

I have worked with a 14-node 34-node linear-mesh deployment for a customer that carries IP video over the network and uses solar panels for power, and is able to sustain over 40Mbps good put over 3.5 miles of dense, curvy wooded roads. A downhill ski course, or following the lift routes, should be an easy solution, but requires some substational planning for your power purposes.