Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Help with VLANs

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Help with VLANs

Posted Apr 30, 2018 07:05 PM

my old unifi ap physically broke when struck by a box. then i was given an IAP-207.

my setup was simple. the ap was plugged into a trunked port on my switch that passed 4 vlans that were setup on the unifi ap.

i am having difficulty setting up the aruba to have 4 vlans (10,20,30,40) so i can just plug it into the same port on my switch.

is there an easy to follow guide to do this from the gui?

thanks

• 2.  RE: Help with VLANs

• 3.  RE: Help with VLANs

Posted May 09, 2018 09:54 PM

i already watched the video but didn't get much help.

maybe someone can tell me what to do after i set up the new wireless networks with ssids and passwords.

client id is network defined, but i'm sure about the vlan assignment. which one would it be? would default be the correct option?

on what screen do i put the vlan id?

is it automatically configured to work on the trunk port of the switch?

thanks

• 4.  RE: Help with VLANs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2018 10:40 PM

When you setup your SSIDs, set VLAN to "Network Assigned" and put in the VLAN # that it corresponds do on the trunk port of the switch.  Each instant AP will tag traffic to its local switched interface based on the VLAN number.  VLAN 1 is considered the management and untaggled VLAN on the switchports that the Instant APs are plugged into.

• 5.  RE: Help with VLANs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2018 10:45 PM

On all of the switchports that your IAPs are connected to, make the untagged VLAN the instant AP management VLAN.  Tag all of the other VLANs based on the SSIDs you are creating.

• 6.  RE: Help with VLANs

Posted May 10, 2018 10:57 AM

for reference, my old unifi ap had 3 vlans.

the management vlan had no vlan id.

the other vlans had vlan ids of 10 and 20.

i plugged it into a trunk port on my switch and the devices connecting to the different vlans got an ip address from the router.

right now on the aruba i have 1 ssid and it has a vlan of 1. i want it to be the management vlan.

so to match the setup, do i leave it's vlan as 1?

when i add the other 2 vlans, do i set them up as:

- network assigned

- static vlan id 10?

when it is set to default, i don't see where to input the vlan id.

i appreciate the help, the access point was a gift and i'm not as tech savvy as some.

• 7.  RE: Help with VLANs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2018 11:59 AM

@Sansao wrote:

for reference, my old unifi ap had 3 vlans.

the management vlan had no vlan id.

the other vlans had vlan ids of 10 and 20.

i plugged it into a trunk port on my switch and the devices connecting to the different vlans got an ip address from the router.

right now on the aruba i have 1 ssid and it has a vlan of 1. i want it to be the management vlan.

so to match the setup, do i leave it's vlan as 1?

yes, and make sure it is untagged on the switchport.

when i add the other 2 vlans, do i set them up as:

- network assigned

- static vlan id 10?

when it is set to default, i don't see where to input the vlan id.

Yes.  Network Assigned and Static.

i appreciate the help, the access point was a gift and i'm not as tech savvy as some.

• 8.  RE: Help with VLANs

Posted May 10, 2018 03:32 PM

on my old setup, the unifi ap had the management (VL_10) as no vlan. 

i am assuming that means on the aruba it translates to client vlan assignment as default?

the other vlan VL_20 is setup as client vlan assignment static with vlan 10.

when i try this simple setup, the system status and radio status lights flash green with no connectivity to the cisco switch.

the cisco switch connects to the router on port 6 and the access point is on port 5.

first is aruba ap, second is unifi ap, third is cisco switch.

Aruba 1.jpg

Unifi 1.jpg

Cisco 1.jpg

• 9.  RE: Help with VLANs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2018 10:25 PM

Please see the video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS9Q8aZXdZ0&index=10&t=21s&list=PL37Y-XxK6oanTV3821XpKHFVo3hGPW-56

It might help you understand what is needed.