Wireless Access

MVP

High capacity VLAN setup

We trying to create a wireless setup for 3,000 + guest users , and our concern was around what type of VLAN setup we should do to provide IP address for all those users:

First option:

- configure the controller as a dhcp server and create several IP segments / VLANS and do VLAN pooling on the guest VAP ( I think this the best option) but somebody suggested that this could potentially take a lot of resources from the controller

Second option:

- configure the controller as a dhcp server and create just one IP segment /VLAN that would allow me to support 3000+ users (one big broadcast domain) 

I was wondering if anybody has implemented a configuration for a scenario like this and what type of VLAN setup worked.

Thanks 

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Guru Elite

Re: High capacity VLAN setup

elmontro wrote:

We trying to create a wireless setup for 3,000 + guest users , and our concern was around what type of VLAN setup we should do to provide IP address for all those users:

First option:

- configure the controller as a dhcp server and create several IP segments / VLANS and do VLAN pooling on the guest VAP ( I think this the best option) but somebody suggested that this could potentially take a lot of resources from the controller

Second option:

- configure the controller as a dhcp server and create just one IP segment /VLAN that would allow me to support 3000+ users (one big broadcast domain) 

I was wondering if anybody has implemented a configuration for a scenario like this and what type of VLAN setup worked.

Thanks 

- Never use the internal DHCP server for more than 256 clients.  Use an external one in this case
- Break up the Subnets into /23s if you can
- Use the high density VRD here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/DG_HighDensity_VRD.pdf to get more details about what to look out for.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

What is the basis for this statement? 

- Never use the internal DHCP server for more than 256 clients.

Are their limitations we should be aware of?

We currently service several  /23 networks on a controller without any .apparent issues.

Thanks,

Guru Elite

256 was my number.  Check out the post here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Mobility-Controllers/Maximum-DHCP-limitations-in-new-Release-Notes/m-p/25752/highlight/true#M1808

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: