Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

High channel utilisation on 2,4Gh i High Density Instant setup

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  High channel utilisation on 2,4Gh i High Density Instant setup

Posted Jun 05, 2013 07:00 PM

Hi

I have setup a High Density Instant setup on a school with 30 APs, it is high density because of large number of client gather at specific places.

I am seeing very high channel utilisation though constantly between 65% and 80% even though the throughput of the system isn't very high.

There is 1 neighboring AP of the system, so it is not rouge interference.

If i look at one of the APs, i see that they see a lot of neighboring AP's 30+ this seemes strange, schouldn't ARM turn down the TX power in order to keep the AP's from disturbing each other.

In order to mitigate the High channel bandwith problem I have put a DL limit pr user on the SSID and I have removed transmit rates 1 to 5 from the SSID.

I also want to turn down the MAX TX level wich currently is at MAX, but what schould i turn it down to ?

Can anyone give me some advice regarding this and also if you know of other ways to deal with high bandwidth utilisation I would also like to hear it :)

Regards Jens W 

• 2.  RE: High channel utilisation on 2,4Gh i High Density Instant setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2013 07:27 PM

You might want to look at the min tx power.  The access point will turn down power if there is too much coverage for your OWN access points.  What is the min tx power?

• 3.  RE: High channel utilisation on 2,4Gh i High Density Instant setup

Posted Jun 06, 2013 04:02 AM

Min TX is 18, is this to high ??

• 4.  RE: High channel utilisation on 2,4Gh i High Density Instant setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2013 05:07 AM
    Yes. Please drop it to 12 if you can.

• 5.  RE: High channel utilisation on 2,4Gh i High Density Instant setup

Posted Jun 06, 2013 07:04 AM

This seems to have had an impact, however i have made all the other changes also so theres is really no telling what worked.

I se now that all AP's actual TX power was 18 or 19 so reducing the MAX has had no effect.

However one AP has been reduced to 15, so setting the MIN to 12 had some effect as well.

I wil try to give the users a little more bandwith a see what the system can cope with. 

• 6.  RE: High channel utilisation on 2,4Gh i High Density Instant setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2013 07:08 AM

Jwi@kjaer-data.com wrote:

This seems to have had an impact, however i have made all the other changes also so theres is really no telling what worked.

I se now that all AP's actual TX power was 18 or 19 so reducing the MAX has had no effect.

However one AP has been reduced to 15, so setting the MIN to 12 had some effect as well.

I wil try to give the users a little more bandwith a see what the system can cope with. 

Allowing access points to have lower power means that in areas of higher density of access points, they will potentially interfere less.  We set it to 12 to strike a balance between avoiding interference and not creating coverage holes.   It is also important to match the power of the access points to clients for the best performance and between 12 and 15 would line up with the transmit power of most devices that you are using.

Let us monitor from here.

• 7.  RE: High channel utilisation on 2,4Gh i High Density Instant setup

Posted Jun 06, 2013 04:05 PM

Does this also go for 5Ghz?

or only 2,4GHz 

• 8.  RE: High channel utilisation on 2,4Gh i High Density Instant setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2013 04:07 PM

You want to do it on the 5ghz, as well.