Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Home setup - working around RAP-5WN

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Home setup - working around RAP-5WN

Posted Jan 12, 2013 07:41 PM

Hi folks, 

I've got sort of a basic home network setup question.  My girlfriend recently started working from home, and they provided her an Aruba RAP-5WN to connect to the corporate network. But this didn't jive terribly well with my setup.

The RAP can't seem to get through my router (older LinkSys running DD-WRT). I haven't had much luck figuring out what ports / protocols I'd need to open up in order to get this thing to connect....or would I need to set up a DMZ for this device specifically?

So for now I've connected the RAP directly to my cable modem, and this works fine. Corporate tech support seems to think this is absolutely necessary (but that sounds like a lazy answer). Kinda sucks for me, since I have to run all my other devices through the passthrough port, and seems to result in slower speeds and an intermittentent disconnection from some services (XBOX live especially).

Is there a better way to integrate this device into my home network? Would simply putting a switch between the RAP and the cable modem get me any closer to having everything play nicely?

Thanks for any thoughts on this, and apologies if this question is a little non-technical for this forum...

EDIT: wanted to mention that everything here is connected over ethernet, no wireless is entering into the equation.

• 2.  RE: Home setup - working around RAP-5WN

Posted Jan 13, 2013 03:35 AM

The only port you need to allow is the UDP 4500 (NAT-T). Since it works without the router it seems that your ISP does not block this service and you indeed need to check your router settings. You should allow this service from your LAN to the Internet (the RAP initiates the connection - there is no need to port forward, etc on the local side)

• 3.  RE: Home setup - working around RAP-5WN

Posted Jan 13, 2013 10:01 AM

zshesveli is right...

You dont need to do anything...

you just need to put the Master ip or the name of the master.

Are you provisionning yourself?

Did you enter the ip of the master that they gave you?

I mean it can happen 2 things

1-On the company your GF works they have not open port udp 4500 so it wont be able to connect(if they got other people on this system already i doubt this is the case)

2-If they didnt open the port udp 69(which is TFTP port(on the company not you) then he wont be able to upgrade the firmware and if he is not able to upgrade it he wont connect if the fimrware is not the same)

They need to forward those 2 ports to the controller

Now if you enter the master ip address or your girlfrined can you tell us what did appear on the rap 5 console? did it says it was able to see the master? or what happens?

Did the company preprovision it? or you did it yourself?

I bealive your problem is the second one.

• 4.  RE: Home setup - working around RAP-5WN

Posted Jan 17, 2013 03:14 AM

I am not provisioning-- all this was setup by her employer's IT staff, she was sent home with a box that "will just work". Not behind my router, I guess.

• 5.  RE: Home setup - working around RAP-5WN

Posted Jan 17, 2013 06:45 AM

Since you said it works fine without the router I am pretty sure the problem is with the router settings. If you open the UDP 4500 it should works just fine.

• 6.  RE: Home setup - working around RAP-5WN

Posted Jan 17, 2013 01:28 PM

You dont need to open a port or anything on the router.

The request is behind send by the RAP not from the controller...

Now i got a question for you.

In your home does your router give DHCP?

Does it really works when you take out the router and connect it directly to the internet?

If you are not providing DHCP on your home router that could be the issue..

• 7.  RE: Home setup - working around RAP-5WN

Posted Jan 18, 2013 07:06 AM

I meant to open the port from LAN to WAN, I hope it was clear.

• 8.  RE: Home setup - working around RAP-5WN

Posted Jan 17, 2013 03:12 AM

Thanks! I'll give opening port 4500 a shot.

Will the RAP's connection be thwarted by my router's DHCP service? I guess opening UDP 4500 and NAT-T will work around?