Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Hospitality AP configuration

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 06, 2017 01:19 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to install WLAN for hotel project within this month.
    As I've read, Aruba AP can be connected to access port while it broadcast several SSID for different VLANs.

What if I bring hospitality AP "out-of-the-box" and connect it to vlan 20 with an assigned DHCP, does it take the DHCP immediately. or I need to configure the AP port to VLAN 20?

I am a little bit confused because as I've read Aruba IAP only work if they are connected to native vlan. Should Hospitality APs be connected to Native VLAN or they can be connected to any VLAN "not native"?

Correct for me if I am wrong.
    Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 07, 2017 04:38 AM

What if I bring hospitality AP "out-of-the-box" and connect it to vlan 20 with an assigned DHCP, does it take the DHCP immediately. or I need to configure the AP port to VLAN 20?

You do not need to configure the AP port in this instance.

I am a little bit confused because as I've read Aruba IAP only work if they are connected to native vlan. Should Hospitality APs be connected to Native VLAN or they can be connected to any VLAN "not native"?

You will be connecting the AP to a port. If the port is configured as an access port the AP will attempt to acquire an IP address from the VLAN configured on the access port.

If the port is configured as a trunk, the AP will attempt to acquire an IP address from the native VLAN configured on the port.

• 3.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 07, 2017 05:20 AM

Hello James,

Thanks for replying.

After the APs were provisioned with the controller. Can I create several SSIDs assigned to different VLANs? While the APs are connected to access port?

Regards

• 4.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 07, 2017 05:46 AM

Hi,

Yes you can. By default the Virtual AP Profiles you will create opperate in tunnel mode. This means that all client traffic will tunnel back to the controller and break out on to the network from the controller.

A Virtual AP profile contains the SSID, authentication, access control setting for a particular network.

Sound like you need to do a little research. :)

• 5.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2017 06:15 AM

@hawada wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to install WLAN for hotel project within this month.
    As I've read, Aruba AP can be connected to access port while it broadcast several SSID for different VLANs.

Correct for me if I am wrong.
    Thanks.

When IAPs are new and you plug them in to the network, by default they will get their management ip address via DHCP from the untagged or native VLAN on a switchport.  You can optionally change the uplink VLAN in the configuration so that they will get their ip address from whatever tagged VLAN you want.:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/Does-IAP-support-management-VLAN-being-tagged-How-to-configure/ta-p/179998

**Please note that you would have to change the uplink VLAN on every IAP in the cluster manually because the setting is AP-Specific.  Ideally you would get all of your APs up in a cluster on the default VLAN and then change the uplink VLAN one by one and reboot your APs to have them come up on another tagged VLAN.

You can create several SSIDs that send traffic to the tagged VLANs on that port, yes.

• 6.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 07, 2017 06:45 AM

Dear James,

Actually I read alot of articles, but i didn't found anything about hospitality AP configuration.

Thanks for clarification.

Thanks Joseph for your support, but my question was about Hospitality AP not IAP, I will appreciate attaching hospitality AP guide.

Regards,

• 7.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2017 06:50 AM

@hawada wrote:

Dear James,

Actually I read alot of articles, but i didn't found anything about hospitality AP configuration.

Thanks for clarification.

Thanks Joseph for your support, but my question was about Hospitality AP not IAP, I will appreciate attaching hospitality AP guide.

Regards,

Do you have a link to which AP you are referring to?  I want to make sure I am giving you the right information.

• 8.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 07, 2017 06:52 AM

The AP I am going to install is hospitality AP-103H

Regards

• 9.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 12, 2017 09:14 AM
    It will grab an IP address on VLAN 20 but if you are looking to use different VLANs you need to the configure the port as a trunk.
    In typical scenario you use the following vlans:
    AP management VLAN - This is your native vlan
    Employees VLAN
    Guest VLAN
    But in your case you may only need two AP management and guest in the trunk port

Get Outlook for iOS

• 10.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 12, 2017 06:36 PM

Hi Victor,

Thanks for supporting me.

I know I must configure Mobility Controller interface as a trunk port and trust the VLANs that will pass through the controller.

If I create Multiple SSIDs Example:( Employee-SSID on VLAN 30, and Guest-SSID on VLAN 40 set both of them to be in Tunneled mode) and Management on VLan20).

On the Switch port(Cisco/HP/Aruba..) the port can be configured as Access Port and assigned to VLAN20 or it needs to be set as trunk port on the switch? 

Because I received an answer from Aruba technical support, that no worries to configure VLANs on the switch port if AP is in Tunnel mode, unless I want to connect IP phone.

That's what confused me

Thank you.

• 11.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 12, 2017 08:30 PM
    Is this an instant or campus AP?

Get Outlook for iOS

• 12.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 13, 2017 02:13 AM

What I am talking about is Campus AP, and that's what I want to know.

Thank you

• 13.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 13, 2017 07:35 AM
    If is a campus AP all you need to do is trunk all the necessary VLANs to the controller and then define the each vlan in the VAP based on the SSID

The AP can connect to any VLAN on your switch access port as long as the AP can reach the controller

Get Outlook for iOS

• 14.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Mar 13, 2017 01:30 PM

Thanks alot Victor :D

• 15.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Sep 25, 2021 05:44 AM
    Hi Victor,

can we configure different static vlan on other port like ge 0/2 and ge 0/3 on hospitality AP with campus AP mode for IPTV or IPPhone ?

so the SSID broadcasted is vlan 10, and other port on hospitalilty AP on ge 0/2 with vlan 20 for IPTV, and ge 0/3 with vlan 30 for IPPhone, 

where we can configure it on controller OS 8.x ?

thankyou

------------------------------
    BR,

Hudaya

• 16.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

MVP
    Posted Sep 26, 2021 07:08 AM
    Yes you can.

You would configure different "Wired AP" profiles for each vlan, combine each into different "AP Wired Port" profiles.
    These "AP Wired Port" profiles you would apply under your AP-group (or AP specific config).
    Open the AP sections and configure these "AP Wired Port" for their respective "Ethernet interface x port configuration"

Koen V

• 17.  RE: Hospitality AP configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2021 01:38 PM
    Dear Koen,

noted, i will try that,

thanks for your response

BR,

Hudaya