Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Hospitality AP configuration

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to install WLAN for hotel project within this month.
As I've read, Aruba AP can be connected to access port while it broadcast several SSID for different VLANs.

What if I bring hospitality AP "out-of-the-box" and connect it to vlan 20 with an assigned DHCP, does it take the DHCP immediately. or I need to configure the AP port to VLAN 20?

I am a little bit confused because as I've read Aruba IAP only work if they are connected to native vlan. Should Hospitality APs be connected to Native VLAN or they can be connected to any VLAN "not native"?

Correct for me if I am wrong.
Thanks.

MVP

Re: Hospitality AP configuration

What if I bring hospitality AP "out-of-the-box" and connect it to vlan 20 with an assigned DHCP, does it take the DHCP immediately. or I need to configure the AP port to VLAN 20?

You do not need to configure the AP port in this instance.

I am a little bit confused because as I've read Aruba IAP only work if they are connected to native vlan. Should Hospitality APs be connected to Native VLAN or they can be connected to any VLAN "not native"?

You will be connecting the AP to a port. If the port is configured as an access port the AP will attempt to acquire an IP address from the VLAN configured on the access port.

If the port is configured as a trunk, the AP will attempt to acquire an IP address from the native VLAN configured on the port.

Cheers
James

-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216
-----------Mobility First Expert #11----------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.

Hello James,

Thanks for replying.

After the APs were provisioned with the controller. Can I create several SSIDs assigned to different VLANs? While the APs are connected to access port?

Regards

MVP

Hi,

Yes you can. By default the Virtual AP Profiles you will create opperate in tunnel mode. This means that all client traffic will tunnel back to the controller and break out on to the network from the controller.

A Virtual AP profile contains the SSID, authentication, access control setting for a particular network.

Sound like you need to do a little research. :)

Cheers
James

-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216
-----------Mobility First Expert #11----------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

hawada wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to install WLAN for hotel project within this month.
As I've read, Aruba AP can be connected to access port while it broadcast several SSID for different VLANs.

Correct for me if I am wrong.
Thanks.

When IAPs are new and you plug them in to the network, by default they will get their management ip address via DHCP from the untagged or native VLAN on a switchport.  You can optionally change the uplink VLAN in the configuration so that they will get their ip address from whatever tagged VLAN you want.:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/Does-IAP-support-management-VLAN-being-tagged-How-to-configure/ta-p/179998

**Please note that you would have to change the uplink VLAN on every IAP in the cluster manually because the setting is AP-Specific.  Ideally you would get all of your APs up in a cluster on the default VLAN and then change the uplink VLAN one by one and reboot your APs to have them come up on another tagged VLAN.

You can create several SSIDs that send traffic to the tagged VLANs on that port, yes.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Dear James,

Actually I read alot of articles, but i didn't found anything about hospitality AP configuration.

Thanks for clarification.

Thanks Joseph for your support, but my question was about Hospitality AP not IAP, I will appreciate attaching hospitality AP guide.

Regards,

Guru Elite

hawada wrote:

Dear James,

Actually I read alot of articles, but i didn't found anything about hospitality AP configuration.

Thanks for clarification.

Thanks Joseph for your support, but my question was about Hospitality AP not IAP, I will appreciate attaching hospitality AP guide.

Regards,

Do you have a link to which AP you are referring to?  I want to make sure I am giving you the right information.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

The AP I am going to install is hospitality AP-103H

Regards

MVP

It will grab an IP address on VLAN 20 but if you are looking to use different VLANs you need to the configure the port as a trunk.
In typical scenario you use the following vlans:
AP management VLAN - This is your native vlan
Employees VLAN
Guest VLAN
But in your case you may only need two AP management and guest in the trunk port

Get Outlook for iOS
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

Hi Victor,

Thanks for supporting me.

I know I must configure Mobility Controller interface as a trunk port and trust the VLANs that will pass through the controller.

If I create Multiple SSIDs Example:( Employee-SSID on VLAN 30, and Guest-SSID on VLAN 40 set both of them to be in Tunneled mode) and Management on VLan20).

On the Switch port(Cisco/HP/Aruba..) the port can be configured as Access Port and assigned to VLAN20 or it needs to be set as trunk port on the switch? 

Because I received an answer from Aruba technical support, that no worries to configure VLANs on the switch port if AP is in Tunnel mode, unless I want to connect IP phone.

That's what confused me

Thank you.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: