Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I move an AP from new code to older code controllers

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  How do I move an AP from new code to older code controllers

Posted Aug 21, 2014 11:30 AM

I'm having some issues with wireless phones after we moved AP's from older controllers using code version 5.4 and 3.3.3.3. to our new controllers running 6.3.1.5. In order to get the phones back up and running I want to move a few AP's back in critical areas to the older controllers running code 5.4 and 3.3.3.3. I can't seem to get them to move back I put the IP address in the Master Controller IP Address/DNS name  field and TFTP filed to the IP address of the old controller it goes back to our master controller. Is this because of the code version can only be upgraded not downgraded?  I have tried purging the AP with a console cable and setting the master IP and server ip using to the old controller but it still ends up back on the new master controller or reboots over and over saying it can't find the master but shows the master as the old controllers IP the one I want it to go.

• 2.  RE: How do I move an AP from new code to older code controllers

Posted Aug 21, 2014 11:39 AM
    Are you trying to downgrade the current controller on 6.3 ? Or do you have another controller running the older code ?

• 3.  RE: How do I move an AP from new code to older code controllers

Posted Aug 21, 2014 11:41 AM

Another controller running older code trying to go from 6.3.x to 3.3.3.3 controller

• 4.  RE: How do I move an AP from new code to older code controllers

Posted Aug 21, 2014 11:45 AM
    Do you have the same ap group on the older controller ?

If you do all you need to do is point the ap system profile from the controller running 6.3 to the controller running the older code .

How are your APs discovering the controller?

• 5.  RE: How do I move an AP from new code to older code controllers

Posted Aug 21, 2014 11:53 AM

I set the ap to Default group we are not using LMS IP in the AP-system profile we are directly setting the LMS IP of the ap in the provisionoing tab.

• 6.  RE: How do I move an AP from new code to older code controllers

Posted Aug 21, 2014 01:39 PM
    I suggest you do it that way , create a couple of ap system profiles and tie it to the AP group is much easier to manage

• 7.  RE: How do I move an AP from new code to older code controllers

Posted Aug 21, 2014 01:54 PM

Yes we plan on doing that unfortenly a past employee did not and craeted over 200 ap groups using the same LMS ip default AP system profile so it's going to take a some time to do that which we plan on doing but priorty is to get the clients wifi phones working. I have a tac case open on that but I just wanted to see how to get an AP to go back to an older code version looks like it won't do it once it's upgraded fully to the new code. I see there are ways to upgrade code with the console cable but probaly not worth the trouble. 

• 8.  RE: How do I move an AP from new code to older code controllers

Posted Aug 21, 2014 02:49 PM
    OMG