Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath

Posted Feb 28, 2014 03:17 PM

Hi guys,

How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath? I mean, I would like to have the help desk giving addhoc access when necessary. Too complicated or can I get it out of the box?

Thanks,

Mo

• 2.  RE: How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2014 03:19 PM

Helpdesk can generate a user by logging into a controller if they have the guest-provisioning role.  It of course will not synchronize across controllers.  Helpdesk users cannot see guests that other helpdesk users created.  It will not synchronize across master controllers.

• 3.  RE: How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath

Posted Feb 28, 2014 03:26 PM

Thanks Joseph. Looking into my scenario, it is almost impossible to manage users using the out of the box features. But it never kills to ask! Thanks for your quick feedback.

Mo

• 4.  RE: How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath

Posted Mar 01, 2014 09:37 AM
    You can do this via the captive portal or a combination of using your radius server and the captive portal

• 5.  RE: How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 02, 2014 12:40 PM

happytech,

That is assuming that your helpdesk can create and manage users in active directory.  In most organizations, they cannot.

• 6.  RE: How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath

Posted Mar 03, 2014 01:12 PM

i do know how big your organisation is Mo, but in general the out of the box functionality of a controller is enough for some ocasional guest account creation. why do you think it isnt for you?

• 7.  RE: How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath

Posted Mar 05, 2014 06:36 AM

Just the implementation...The customer has two controllers in master/master. As the user database does not replicate between them, then you have to teach help desk, secretaries, etc. to create users on the right controller. Also, who cleans all unused users? Sometime what you want is just give a 1 day voucher but some other time you may want to give one week (i.e: training course 1 week long). In this case, guest management guets more complicated. Of course, still doable using the native interface...

Mo

• 8.  RE: How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath

Posted Mar 05, 2014 11:54 AM

you are right, the two masters already gives some extra work, expiring accounts is something the aruba controller on itself can do i believe.

sorry for dragging this on, just wanted to get clear what exactly what the issue was.

• 9.  RE: How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath

MVP
    Posted Mar 06, 2014 11:31 AM

Since you can add users with the CLI it would also be fairly easy to create a script (outside of the aruba controllers) to create users that would create the users on both controllers.

• 10.  RE: How far can I go controlling guest access with no ClearPath

Posted Mar 06, 2014 01:50 PM

true, but does that still count as "out of the box" functionality? :)

and not everyone is equally comfortable with such scripts.