Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How frequently can default Arm parameters influence a change in Channel and AP Tx power?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How frequently can default Arm parameters influence a change in Channel and AP Tx power?

Posted Mar 18, 2017 09:35 AM

Hi,

I have a wonderful document to go through from Aruba: https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/unified-wired-wireless-access/7592/1/ARM%20Doc%20Supplement.pdf

However would want to validate my understanding on this document.

1) How frequently does a channel/Tx power change could happen?

From the default paramters defined against arm, it appears:

An AP scans channel every 10 seconds (scan interval)

The scan will continue for 110 milli seconds (scan time)

After an AP changes channel/Tx power, it will continue to remain with new value of channel/Tx power for another 240 seconds before making another decision if needed to change these parameters again (Backoff time).

Do this signifies that an AP can change channel as quickly as 10.110 seconds on any change parameters getting triggered?

2) Are there dedicated Arm parameters to influence channel change & dedicated Arm parameters to influence Tx power or the same parameters can take care of influencing both channel change &Tx Power?

• 2.  RE: How frequently can default Arm parameters influence a change in Channel and AP Tx power?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2017 10:00 AM

The minimum time an AP will change channels is 240 seconds, which is the backoff timer.  The only exception to this is severe interference or noise, where a change will be as quick as the Arm Noise Wait parameter.

The 10 seconds is how long it waits to scan channels.  110 milliseconds is how long it scans a channel.  Neither affect how long it takes to actually change channels.

• 3.  RE: How frequently can default Arm parameters influence a change in Channel and AP Tx power?

Posted Mar 18, 2017 10:11 AM

Thanks,

Yes, I meant to say that the minimum time between two successive changes will be 240 seconds and transition time it takes for this change to take effect as 10.110 seconds, once the relevant arm parameters are triggered. Am I correct?

• 4.  RE: How frequently can default Arm parameters influence a change in Channel and AP Tx power?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2017 11:44 AM

10 seconds is the interval between when it scans channels to collect information.  It is not the time it takes to change from one channel to another...