Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to Combine 2 different subnets under 1 ssid and Give priority to 1 subnet over the other

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How to Combine 2 different subnets under 1 ssid and Give priority to 1 subnet over the other

Posted Apr 23, 2012 01:59 PM

Just created a new subnet and need to migrate off of one that is running out of IP to the new subnet which is bigger.   Can I run the two subnets at the same time  point  the two to the same SSID ; shorten the lease time on the subnet that is running out of IP Address this way the new subnet is preferred ? 

Can I run 1 ssid with 2 different IP Segments?

Can I set a Priority on DHCP so that The NEW subnet is  given out instead of the old subnet production.?

Eventually we will be getting rid of the old subnet but we need to migrate with minimal down time.

• 2.  RE: How to Combine 2 different subnets under 1 ssid and Give priority to 1 subnet over the other
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 02:19 PM

Under the virtual AP profile that includes the SSID you use, you can add both VLAN's.  I am assuming that you meant 2 different VLANs.  If not, then you will have to have some other device be the default gateway rather than the controller.  Aruba controller's dont support secondary addressing.

If you do have 2 VLANs, add both to the virtual AP profile.   You cant control which of them the user is placed into, but you should get a roughly 50/50 split.  You can then remove the first VLAN and only affect 50% of your users. 

When you add the VLAN to the VAP, you will cause the users who should switch to the secondary VLAN to bounce, so you should probably do this during down-time (which may mean you don't even need to keep the original VLAN anyway).

• 3.  RE: How to Combine 2 different subnets under 1 ssid and Give priority to 1 subnet over the other

Posted Apr 25, 2012 11:43 AM

Thanks for your reply,  Yes,  there are 2  different vlans and two different gateways, using the Same SSID.

In the test environment I have two different vlan 2 different SSID and VAP configured and they are working fine. Now I need a way to  take one vlan out of production and implement the other.

Is there any Documentation that will explain how this works.

• 4.  RE: How to Combine 2 different subnets under 1 ssid and Give priority to 1 subnet over the other
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 25, 2012 02:11 PM

Do you want them both to have the SAME vlan?

• 5.  RE: How to Combine 2 different subnets under 1 ssid and Give priority to 1 subnet over the other

Posted Jun 20, 2012 11:35 AM

They are two different subnet both are GUest subnet.   one Public ip the new is private IP space.  

• 6.  RE: How to Combine 2 different subnets under 1 ssid and Give priority to 1 subnet over the other

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 20, 2012 11:37 AM

Please walk us through how you want it to work..

Do you want to use both subnets at the same time on one guest WLAN?

• 7.  RE: How to Combine 2 different subnets under 1 ssid and Give priority to 1 subnet over the other

Posted Jun 20, 2012 12:11 PM

so what I am trying to do is roll out a new Guest user Subnet .   The subnet is already created and we are testing it now.  We are trying to lessen the impact to our users. So the plan now is to run the new subnet in parallel with the current guest subnet.  make a announcement that they must connect to the new SSID then shut the old SSID within 30 days.  to test a subset of users.    The new ssid is running off the same AP GROUP.  I want to a department of users by broadcasting that ssid to that group of users only.  Right now the SSID is not broadcasting.  Can I tell the ssid to broadcast only to a specific group????  I hope this helps