Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to Limit the number of clients on per AP & how to Bind MAC address on a VLAN ??

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  How to Limit the number of clients on per AP & how to Bind MAC address on a VLAN ??

Posted Aug 21, 2013 12:53 AM

Using ArubaOS 6.2 version.

(620 Controller with AP 105).

1st question: I want to know how to minimize the number of clients on each AP. ?

Second question: How to bind the mac addresses on a VLAN ?

Kindly help me in this regard.

• 2.  RE: How to Limit the number of clients on per AP & how to Bind MAC address on a VLAN ??
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 21, 2013 02:09 AM

Hello.

What do you mean by minimize the number of clients on each AP?

You can set a max assosiations in the SSID profile. This will set a hard limit on how many clients can connect to each AP.

It is each client who decides which AP to connect with, so there is only so much you can do with your AP105.

One tip is to use band steering to encourage clients to use the 5 gig range if compatible.

For your seccond question, you can for ecample make a user rule to bind a mac address to a specific VLAN.

• 3.  RE: How to Limit the number of clients on per AP & how to Bind MAC address on a VLAN ??

Posted Aug 21, 2013 02:46 AM

For example, If i have two AP and 60 Clients (laptops) and one SSID is broadcasting "Test"

All the clients will connect to TEST ssid . Now my questions is this , how the all the 60 users would be divided as 30 users on one AP and 30 users on another AP ?

AP's can do it automatically else some configuration is needed ?

And for the second question i dont know how to make user rules, can u assist via a remote session ?

Can you take a remote session of my PC. Kindly help me in this regard.

• 4.  RE: How to Limit the number of clients on per AP & how to Bind MAC address on a VLAN ??
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 21, 2013 02:55 AM

As I said in my previous post, you cannot force clients to change AP. Each client will decide for itself which AP it thinks is best to use.

User rules can be configured on the page 

Configuration Security > Authentication > User Rules

If you need more detailed information about user rules, you should look it up in the AOS User Guide :)

• 5.  RE: How to Limit the number of clients on per AP & how to Bind MAC address on a VLAN ??
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2013 02:56 AM

Clients decide what access points they will attach to, so while we can try to influence it, we cannot control it 100%.  It is better that you get the functionality of your WLAN working first.  Make no user rules, before you get connectivity working.

First create the management and user VLANs, and then use the WLAN/LAN Wizard to create your WLAN.