Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to completely backup and restore mobility controller

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  How to completely backup and restore mobility controller

Posted Jan 17, 2017 10:58 PM

We need to transport our Aruba 7210 controller to a new location and due to security requirements, we need to wipe everything in this controller before shipping, and restore it again once it arrives in the destination.

My concerns are below:
    To factory reset - this means everything needs to be gone from the box, including certificates. Is write erase all command enough for this?

To restore the box
    - it seems restoring from a flash backup is the main method and this restores the licences and config, but i want to make sure this method will restore my box to its previous state 100%, including all files such as certificates, etc, and I dont have to worry about any manual/additional procedures later on.

• 2.  RE: How to completely backup and restore mobility controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2017 12:11 AM

Write erase all will wipe everything back to default, but you will also want to delete everything off the flash. if you want to TRULY wipe the controller, you can but it will require you to load the firmware from CPBoot, which is kind of a pain. TAC can assist, or our local Aruba SE.

Restoring from a flash backup will restore everything including certs.

• 3.  RE: How to completely backup and restore mobility controller

Posted Jan 18, 2017 04:43 AM

Hi Howard,

Write erase all command will wipe to factory including license.

I think license does not install when restore from flash.

I think write erase is necessary for this case.

What is your idea?

• 4.  RE: How to completely backup and restore mobility controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2017 07:10 AM

Restore Flash does reinstall the license.

• 5.  RE: How to completely backup and restore mobility controller

Posted Jan 16, 2019 11:49 AM

licence will re-install if you are restoring to the appliance with the same serial number.  if the restore will be happening on another appliance with a different serial number the licences wont install and tac will have to help you to re-gen the licences for the new serial