Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to enable 300mbps speed on AP105

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How to enable 300mbps speed on AP105

Posted Dec 08, 2016 10:48 AM

Hi Guys, 

Apologies, I am new here. I have a query with regards to our Aruba Wireless Controllers and AP105's at our company. I have never used Aruba before so I am still trying to get my footing. The query is this;

We are broadcasting an SSID over our wireless that is transmitting data at a max speed of 54mbps. We know we can get at least 300mbps using our AP105s, so we want to use mixed mode so that those devices that can only get 54mbps use that, but devices that can take the higher transmission rate will benefit from the up to 300mpbs.

I have looked into configuring this and it looks like you have to enable WPA2 to get access to those higher speeds but in order to enable that mode you need to create 802.1X Authentication Profile and server in the AAA profiles with termination ticked. Now I have done this the SSID is broadcasting but when i connect its asking for EAP method - which I am now lost and don't know what to do next since I dont know how to configure those methods. 

Is there a way to increase the speed without this, or do I need a certificate or something to authenticate against?

Kind Regards, 

• 2.  RE: How to enable 300mbps speed on AP105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 08, 2016 10:58 AM

If you are using tkip or wep, your speed is limited to 54 as per the standard.

• 3.  RE: How to enable 300mbps speed on AP105

Posted Dec 08, 2016 11:04 AM

The SSID I am using is configured to wpa2 - aes. This would lift that 54mbps restriction no? My next question is that now this is done it is asking to choose and EAP configuration to authenticate against, this is where I am stuck. Is there one that doesnt require a certificate and goes on MAC_Authenticated like the rest of our network?  Thanks

• 4.  RE: How to enable 300mbps speed on AP105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 08, 2016 11:34 AM

What is the existing encryption?

For a client that is connecting at , please type "show ap association client-mac <mac address of client>" and print the output here, so we can see the client capabilities.

• 5.  RE: How to enable 300mbps speed on AP105

Posted Dec 09, 2016 07:45 AM
    Hi,

Instead of setting the encryption as wap2 aes, set it to wpa2-psk-aes and then configure a wpa2 passphrase. This does not require eap.

• 6.  RE: How to enable 300mbps speed on AP105

Posted Dec 09, 2016 08:46 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply. wpa2-psk will do that , but can i perform mixed mode with the same passphrase? Or will mixed mode require a lot more configuration?

• 7.  RE: How to enable 300mbps speed on AP105

Posted Dec 09, 2016 08:55 AM
    could you explain in detail what you mean by mixed mode? What type of authentication and encryption you are looking for?