Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to get the management access remotely to the AP

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  How to get the management access remotely to the AP

Posted Apr 11, 2013 01:08 AM

We are in large deployment , and we are facing a problem regarding the APs coming to the AP database in the controller.

few APs are not coming in the AP database , I am able to ping from the controller and they are in the ARP of the controller.

tried rebooting the AP by flapping the switchport doesnt help. Many other Aps in the same subnet are working wothout an issue.

I would like to purge the APs but access to them by console is not possible as it is physically not reachable. Is there any way i can reach them remotely like Serial Over Ethernet , Http , Telnet etc..  to purge them.  What otheer problems could be causing this issue.

Is it the AP image version creating any issue, Aps are AP125s

Thanks

• 2.  RE: How to get the management access remotely to the AP

Posted Apr 11, 2013 01:55 AM

What version of code are you running? And is this just one controller? Some others recently had code issues where APs didn't show in the database. See this thread.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Mobility-Controllers/Access-Point-shows-down-on-master-up-on-local/td-p/68564

There used to be a "serial over ethernet" feature in the old days, but we don't have it anymore sadly. To use it, the AP had to be connected directly to a controller ethernet port. In the past, I've dug out an old 2400 controller, patched it to the AP at ground level to achieve what you're talking about that.

There's probably another easier way to sort this out though. Two options jump into my mind.

1. If the trouble AP is pingable from the controller, and there's definately no configuration in it's group that's causing the issue, do you have licenses to allow it to connect? You're not at capacity I assume? If not, check the "show datapath session table" to look for the real tunnel session from that AP source IP.

2. If that doesn't tell you what the problem is, can you mirror and sniff the switch port to which the AP attaches? In the past I've found by doing this I can look at the IP destinations and protocols the AP is talking to. This usually gives great info in determining what's going wrong.

Good luck.

• 3.  RE: How to get the management access remotely to the AP

Posted Apr 11, 2013 06:48 AM
    This isn't the most secure option but you could enable telnet on ap system-profile and that should allow to have access to the AP

• 4.  RE: How to get the management access remotely to the AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2013 06:39 PM

@vfabian wrote:
    This isn't the most secure option but you could enable telnet on ap system-profile and that should allow to have access to the AP

The access point will only allow telnet access if it can access the controller and obtain that configuration.  If the access point cannot access the controller, it will not get the config setting to allow telnet, unfortunately :(

• 5.  RE: How to get the management access remotely to the AP

Posted Apr 11, 2013 09:32 PM

Oops

• 6.  RE: How to get the management access remotely to the AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2013 06:40 PM

@wifiabcd wrote:

We are in large deployment , and we are facing a problem regarding the APs coming to the AP database in the controller.

few APs are not coming in the AP database , I am able to ping from the controller and they are in the ARP of the controller.

tried rebooting the AP by flapping the switchport doesnt help. Many other Aps in the same subnet are working wothout an issue.

I would like to purge the APs but access to them by console is not possible as it is physically not reachable. Is there any way i can reach them remotely like Serial Over Ethernet , Http , Telnet etc..  to purge them.  What otheer problems could be causing this issue.

Is it the AP image version creating any issue, Aps are AP125s

Thanks

Do you have a single controller network?  Are these new access points that are having this problem or existing access points?  What do your access points use for discovery?

• 7.  RE: How to get the management access remotely to the AP

Posted Apr 12, 2013 04:46 AM

It is a master local redundancy setup , All are new access points AP125s , Some Aps from the same vlan are not getting IPs and some are getting IPs. We are using DHCP option for discovering the the controller IP.

• 8.  RE: How to get the management access remotely to the AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 12, 2013 05:45 AM

You need to put a console on access points and determine why they are not getting ip addresses.  If access points do not get an ip address, they will not work.  You need to solve that problem first.

• 9.  RE: How to get the management access remotely to the AP

Posted Apr 16, 2013 10:47 AM

Are these new APs you are trying to add ?

Can you check if the local controller you are pointing the APs has enough licenses to support these APs ?

You can run the following command and it will tell you how many APs licenses you are currently using and have available to use :

(controller) #show ap license-usage

AP Licenses
    -----------
    Type Number
    ---- ------
    AP Licenses 800
    RF Protect Licenses 800
    PEF Licenses 2048
    Overall AP License Limit 800

AP Usage
    --------
    Type Count