Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to provide guest-access using pppoe

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How to provide guest-access using pppoe

Posted Oct 15, 2012 06:04 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to ask, if anybody could help me on a hopefully simple issue..?

The problem is, that I want the guest-traffic to leave via the pppoe DSL line, but I don't know how to configure this constellation..

It's a Aruba 620 Controller with 2 VLAN's:

VLAN1 = Internal LAN and AP-Network on interface 1-6 plus interface 8

VLAN2 = PPPoE-DSL-Line on interface 7

The internal stuff is working great so far, but absolutely nothing is working in the Guest-WiFi, which I configured to use VLAN2, even DHCP isn't working if you are connected to the Guest-WiFi. But VLAN2 is getting a public IP-Address, so the PPPoE connection looks like it's successfully established.

I think my routing is completely wrong and I don't know how to get it right. I also don't know where to set the DHCP IP-Range and if I'd be able to set a range, I wouldn't know what default gateway to set, because VLAN2 only has a external IP-Address!?!

I have the feeling something very simple is missing... :)

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: How to provide guest-access using pppoe

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 15, 2012 07:44 AM

@gschwendti wrote:

Hi,

I just wanted to ask, if anybody could help me on a hopefully simple issue..?

The problem is, that I want the guest-traffic to leave via the pppoe DSL line, but I don't know how to configure this constellation..

It's a Aruba 620 Controller with 2 VLAN's:

VLAN1 = Internal LAN and AP-Network on interface 1-6 plus interface 8

VLAN2 = PPPoE-DSL-Line on interface 7

The internal stuff is working great so far, but absolutely nothing is working in the Guest-WiFi, which I configured to use VLAN2, even DHCP isn't working if you are connected to the Guest-WiFi. But VLAN2 is getting a public IP-Address, so the PPPoE connection looks like it's successfully established.

I think my routing is completely wrong and I don't know how to get it right. I also don't know where to set the DHCP IP-Range and if I'd be able to set a range, I wouldn't know what default gateway to set, because VLAN2 only has a external IP-Address!?!

I have the feeling something very simple is missing... :)

Thanks in advance!

It is probably best if you introduce a low-cost DSL router and put that onto the connection, if possible.  That DSL router should then give out DHCP addresses on a separate physical interface on the controller on VLAN2.

If you connect the controller via PPPOE, it is understood that all traffic will route in that direction.  If you use a DSL router, instead, it will obtain the public address, but supply private addresses that your guest clients need to route in that direction.

Make sure the controller has an ip address on the same VLAN as the private addresses that the DSL router is giving out.  On the commandline of the controller, make sure that the "ip cp-redirect-address" parameter is pointed to the ip address of the controller on VLAN2.

• 3.  RE: How to provide guest-access using pppoe

Posted Oct 16, 2012 06:47 AM

i had the same idea, but the customers opinion is, that such a expensive device should be able to handle the dsl connection by itself.. :smileyfrustrated:

• 4.  RE: How to provide guest-access using pppoe

Posted Oct 24, 2012 03:49 AM

any ideas, anyone?

or a quick how-to?