Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to restart processes on an Aruba controller - April-MHC

This thread has been viewed 52 times
  • 1.  How to restart processes on an Aruba controller - April-MHC

Posted Apr 02, 2014 09:18 AM
      |   view attached

How to restart processes on an Aruba controller

Here is a list of commands that we will use and what we can look for:

-          “show processes” – if you used linux then you will love the output. Please check the other parameters of the command in order to see the process that uses more CPU or Memory.

• PROCESS STATE CODES
      • R  running or runnable (on run queue)
      • D  incorruptible sleep (usually IO)
      • S  interruptible sleep (waiting for an event to complete)
      • Z  defunct/zombie, terminated but not reaped by its parent
      • T  stopped, either by a job control signal or because it is being traced

1 April.jpg

-          “show process monitor statistics” – will display a list of current processes running under watchdog.

2 April.jpg

-          “process restart <process name>” – will restart the process and in order to see if it has re-initialized you would need to use one of the previous commands.

I would recommend to have an Aruba support engineer with you on the phone when doing this on production and only if the engineer requests you to do so.

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: How to restart processes on an Aruba controller - April-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 07, 2014 10:14 AM

Constantin,

Thank you for that information.

Under what circumstances would a user want to or need to restart a process?

• 3.  RE: How to restart processes on an Aruba controller - April-MHC

Posted Apr 07, 2014 10:55 AM

For example now in my company we use it in order to clear the station table - because the "aaa user delete all" would not do it properly and we get to max out our user license on the controllers.

We are working with Aruba support to get the issue fixed but in order for us not to restart the controller we restart the "auth" process and that clears the station-table.

• 4.  RE: How to restart processes on an Aruba controller - April-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 07, 2014 10:56 PM

Hi Constantin

Some additional thoughts for your document

• If you restart a process without the "core" CLI flag, it is unlikely any root cause can ever be found
    • Using the core flag will increase the time it takes to recover the process (as core has to be dumped and compressed etc)
    • Many processes (stm, auth), if restarted, will cause all clients to be disassociated
    • During process restart related CLI commands will be unavilable (i.e. if you restart stm, show ap <> will become unavailable)
    • If you restart a process with core flag that has high CPU, it may not provide sufficient info - you should request TAC to "strace" the process before someone restarts it.

I definitely concur with the comment "I would recommend to have an Aruba support engineer with you on the phone when doing this on production and only if the engineer requests you to do so." as restarting processes randomly is likely to cause some sort of outage.

regards

-jeff

• 5.  RE: How to restart processes on an Aruba controller - April-MHC

Posted Jun 15, 2019 06:03 AM
      |   view attached

Hello All,

some license issue we got after upgrading 7030 mc,

6.5: master-masterstandby

8.2: standalone-standby

we restarted stm process.

managed to solve the issue after that.

but one thing: the output of 'show license server-table' seems weird/doesn't tally with our purchased ap+pefng license.

actual license count=62; our total ap=37 with 1 ap down, so total ap active should be 36.

shown there usedLic=76-84, keeps fluctuating.

i dunno where the number counted from.

attached the logs.

btw, why are we not allowed to upload .7z file?

our hpe tac case # : 5339251096 & 5339398690

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: How to restart processes on an Aruba controller - April-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2019 09:38 AM

Please contact TAC and DO NOT restart any processes.  We left this post up as an example of how unpredictable restarting processes are and how it should really only be a tool for engineering or TAC.