Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to stop Clients from Sticking to AP's? Sticky situation!!!

This thread has been viewed 56 times
  • 1.  How to stop Clients from Sticking to AP's? Sticky situation!!!

Posted Sep 25, 2015 01:51 PM

So I recently started a position with a company who has a full wireless network depolyed. I am new with Aruba and how everything works. I am seeing an issue with particularly iOS Devices sticking to AP's in another building about 50ft away and not switching to an AP right next to them. We currently have AP-125's deployed and I have changed some of them over to AP-135's to see if this could solve the issue. I was thinking maybe I need to adjust the signal strenght, but support indicated not to do this. I also read that iOS will not Roam to a new AP untill it reaches 70dbm and that 802.11k could help with this? Please help im stuck at this point on what my options are.  

Thanks, 

• 2.  RE: How to stop Clients from Sticking to AP's? Sticky situation!!!

Posted Sep 25, 2015 02:21 PM

What version of AOS are your running ?

• 3.  RE: How to stop Clients from Sticking to AP's? Sticky situation!!!

Posted Sep 25, 2015 02:29 PM
    Name:Alcatel-Lucent Operating System-Wireless.
    Model:OAW-4550-US
    Version:6.4.2.3

• 4.  RE: How to stop Clients from Sticking to AP's? Sticky situation!!!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2015 03:15 PM

TechSavvy86,

How many access points do you have? (commandline - show ap active)

What model access point are they? (commandline - show ap active)

What is your access point's highest power on each band? (commandline - show ap active)

Long story short, clients stick to access points if the power on the access point exceeds that of the client.  You would want to cap the power on the AP to 18 using the ARM profile:

ARM-power.png

There is also ClientMatch that will also help, but setting the power correctly will help on the initial client association.  ClientMatch helps after, but setting the power correctly puts the client on the correct path.

• 5.  RE: How to stop Clients from Sticking to AP's? Sticky situation!!!

Posted Sep 25, 2015 03:42 PM

I worked with support last week who told us to disable Client Match Feature on our profile. I was told it was "Buggy" and was not working correctly. Should we re-enable this?

We currently have 479 AP's (Higher Ed enviroment)

Vast majority of them are OAW-AP125 and some OAW-AP135's

We have multiple Groups we use as well. 

The main concern is for one in particular and the settings are as follows:9-25-2015.JPG

• 6.  RE: How to stop Clients from Sticking to AP's? Sticky situation!!!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2015 03:52 PM

Uncheck 80 mhz (will not affect 135s or 125s, but uncheck it)

Change "Allowed Bands for 40mhz" to "none" (high density, we want 9 non-overlapping channels instead of 4)

Make Max TX Eirp 18 (cap the power at the max TX power of clients so they don't "stick")

Make Min TX Eirp 12 (allow the power to go lower if there is alot of coverage)

Test your stickiness after that.

Maybe they need to explain "buggy" so you can make your own informed decision about controller-based Client Match.  It is not buggy in my experience.