Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How will VLAN placement work if user connects and reconnects when using even balancing?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How will VLAN placement work if user connects and reconnects when using even balancing?

Posted Dec 08, 2014 07:23 AM

Hi

With Hashing I can understand that a user is placed in the same vklan based on the Hash, so disconnecting and reconnecting you will have the same hash and be placed into the same VLAn.

This however leads to one VLAN being utilised more than another.

How does EVEN do it? When a user connects the 1st time and is placed in VLAN X - if the client disconnects and reconnects (for egsamople the user leaves the wifi coverage area for a short period of time) will the user remain in VLAN X when reconnecting or is there a possibility that he might be assigned to VLAN Y or Z?

• 2.  RE: How will VLAN placement work if user connects and reconnects when using even balancing?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 08, 2014 07:34 AM

Hendrik

caveat 1: you must enable Preserve Client VLAN under vap profile to prevent exactly this issue on subsequent reconnect.

caveat 2: Preserve Client VLAN doesnt work across controllers, hence if you have any chance to roam between master/local or local/local, then even balance is not suitable for you.

the broadcast filtering in the controller is now at a point where pools of smaller (/24, /23) are not really required, a lot of larger campuses are up at the /18 size subnets, some even push it to /16

regards

-jeff

• 3.  RE: How will VLAN placement work if user connects and reconnects when using even balancing?

Posted Dec 08, 2014 07:47 AM

Lucky for me the roaming doesn't take place between controllers - so the single tick box, "Preserve Client VLA" is perfect THX - that makes it very simple from my side.

The client is trying to avoid supernets - at most they will go for a /23, but nothing bigger.