Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

Posted Feb 19, 2016 11:02 AM

Can anyone tell me what affect adding a new vlan to a pool has on existing clients on the network please?  Does the controller re-hash all the existing clients at the time when you make the change or does it only re-hash when the client reauthenticates?  The test that I tried resulted in the client losing network connection, it looked like the client was moved to another vlan but the client didn't dhcp so lost network connectivity.  Is this expected behaviour?  Turning the wifi off and back on, hence reauthenticating and dhcping fixed the issue but I don't really want our users to have to do this.

I need to do this in our live environment that has up to 13000 clients so need to know how it will affect them.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

Posted Feb 19, 2016 11:06 AM
    What version of AOS are you using?

• 3.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

Posted Feb 19, 2016 11:07 AM

• 4.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2016 11:09 AM

@emm502 wrote:

Can anyone tell me what affect adding a new vlan to a pool has on existing clients on the network please?  Does the controller re-hash all the existing clients at the time when you make the change or does it only re-hash when the client reauthenticates?  The test that I tried resulted in the client losing network connection, it looked like the client was moved to another vlan but the client didn't dhcp so lost network connectivity.  Is this expected behaviour?  Turning the wifi off and back on, hence reauthenticating and dhcping fixed the issue but I don't really want our users to have to do this.

I need to do this in our live environment that has up to 13000 clients so need to know how it will affect them.

Thanks

Do not do in a live environment.  All clients get kicked off so that they can be placed into correct hashed vlans, but it is far from invisible, so it should be done in a maintenence window.

• 5.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

Posted Feb 19, 2016 11:25 AM

That clarifies things, thanks for your help.

• 6.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

Posted Feb 19, 2016 11:54 AM

This particular action is not in the list but something to keep in mind.

The following changes will trigger a radio restart and the wireless clients will be briefly interrupted if you are using the AP-200 Series, AP-210 Series, AP-220 Series starting on 6.4.2.2 +

2016-02-19 11_44_14-Settings.png

• 7.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

Posted Jun 19, 2017 06:59 PM

I'm on 6.5.0.4.  I added a second VLAN to an existing VLAN Pool.  But it has been 2 weeks and no one has been issued an address on the new VLAN yet.  The old VLAN is nearly full.  I'm afraid that when we run out of IPs in the original VLAN, users will not be able to connect because it did not redistribute users after adding the new VLAN to the pool.  Do I need to reboot the controllers for this to take effect?  What can I do?  Support said that it would start using the new VLAN once the old one filled, but I do not believe that is how it is designed to work.

• 8.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2017 08:59 PM
    What commands did you use to add the vlan to the pool? Use "show audit-trail"

• 9.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

Posted Jun 20, 2017 10:46 AM

COMMAND:<vlan 1012 > -- command executed successfully
    COMMAND:<interface port-channel 3 > -- command executed successfully
    COMMAND:<interface port-channel 3 switchport access vlan 1012 > -- command executed successfully
    COMMAND:<write memory > -- command executed successfully
    COMMAND:<interface vlan 1012 > -- command executed successfully
    COMMAND:<interface vlan 1012 operstate up > -- command executed successfully
    COMMAND:<vlan "CorpNET" "1010,1012" > -- command executed successfully
    COMMAND:<write memory > -- command executed successfully

• 10.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

Posted Jun 21, 2017 11:10 AM

Any advice?  Should I call into tech support again?

• 11.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

Posted Jun 21, 2017 04:32 PM

As a follow up, we had ClearPass rules assigning a specific VLAN to devices on that SSID so the controller was unable to use pooling.  We will make changes in our ClearPass config to resolve the issue.

• 12.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 04:51 PM
    You can still use ClearPass to return the vlan name instead of an individual VLAN ID.

• 13.  RE: How will adding a new vlan to a vlan pool affect existing clients?

Posted Jun 23, 2017 10:42 AM

Thanks Tim,

I knew you'd have an answer!

-Dominic