Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Howto find reason of bad wifi experience by users

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Howto find reason of bad wifi experience by users

Posted Mar 29, 2018 10:26 AM

I work at a foudation which has 2 7205 controllers with several sites and multiple IAP 207 AP's.

In one specific area people complain about "bad internet/bad wifi"

I want to find out the reason this experience.

Which steps should i take to get to the cause of the "bad internet feeling".

It seems to me there should be reasonable to good coverage by the AP's i inhereted from the previouse network engineer, and the uplink to the internet is not the problem at all.

Regards

Gerards

• 2.  RE: Howto find reason of bad wifi experience by users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2018 10:55 AM

Are the IAPs controlled by the 7205s, or are they running as standalone Instant clusters? This helps identify where to look for stats/info.

With generic complaints of bad internet or bad wifi, it helps to get more info about the experience. From the dashboard, looking for stats like client SNR, goodput, client health, etc, will help give you an idea for what's going on and where to begin.

• 3.  RE: Howto find reason of bad wifi experience by users

Posted Mar 29, 2018 11:27 AM

Yes, All 100 ap's are controlled by the 2 redundant 7205 controllers.

Kind regards

Gerards

• 4.  RE: Howto find reason of bad wifi experience by users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2018 12:16 PM

What you can do, is go to Dashboard> Performance and give us a screenshot of that page.

• 5.  RE: Howto find reason of bad wifi experience by users

Posted Apr 06, 2018 04:11 AM

SNR, Goodput etc was a good start, thank you form those direction!

However those figures where actualy not bad at all. When i went to one location of the complaint i found one AP to be flip-flopping in signal on my laptop (ekahau free version). so i thought there might be TO MANY AP's competing for AIR. Investigating nog if switching some AP's solve the problem. Take some time. Will get back on this.

KInd Rgards

Gerard

• 6.  RE: Howto find reason of bad wifi experience by users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 06, 2018 07:09 AM

On the dashboard, look at utilization.  Anything that is 30% or higher could be because of not suppressing broadcasts, to many SSIDs or to much co-channel interference.

• 7.  RE: Howto find reason of bad wifi experience by users

Posted Apr 06, 2018 11:12 AM

I don't see utilization on my airwave 8.2 dashboard nor on my controller. on what menu should i find it ?

Kind Regards

Gerard

• 8.  RE: Howto find reason of bad wifi experience by users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 06, 2018 12:25 PM