Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Hybrid setup on IAP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Hybrid setup on IAP

Posted Jan 18, 2017 12:16 AM

Hi there,

We just purchased 12 IAP for the new office with a 7205 controller in the DC. I figured out the 12 IAP can run as a virtual controller to support the office users have bridged access to the enterprise network. However, I also need to setup these IAP to support visitors whose traffic needs to be encrypted and treat them like in the DMZ on the firewall.

Is there any document/blog talking about this setup?

Thanks,

Steven

• 2.  RE: Hybrid setup on IAP

Posted Jan 18, 2017 03:04 AM
    Hello,

You should be able to configure one SSID in bridge mode for the enterprise access and configure the guest SSID in tunnel mode to centralize the guest access.

In this setup you need to convert the IAPs to controllerbased access-points. Bridge or tunnel mode is configured via the virtual-ap configuration profiles.

René

• 3.  RE: Hybrid setup on IAP

Posted Jan 18, 2017 06:03 PM

Hi René,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Our requirement is not to use the controller for enterprise network because if this controller fails, then everything will be offline.

Steven

• 4.  RE: Hybrid setup on IAP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2017 07:15 AM

@swong wrote:

Hi there,

We just purchased 12 IAP for the new office with a 7205 controller in the DC. I figured out the 12 IAP can run as a virtual controller to support the office users have bridged access to the enterprise network. However, I also need to setup these IAP to support visitors whose traffic needs to be encrypted and treat them like in the DMZ on the firewall.

Is there any document/blog talking about this setup?

Thanks,

Steven

You can create an additional SSID on your Instant Cluster and use IAP-VPN tunneling to a controller to transport the user traffic to the controller:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Aruba-Instant-Cloud-Wi-Fi/Tutorial-Building-a-VPN-from-a-IAP-Cluster-to-a-Wireless/td-p/122585

• 5.  RE: Hybrid setup on IAP

Posted Jan 18, 2017 06:05 PM

Hi Colin,

This seems to be good to our expectation with the instant cluster up for the enterprise network. Thanks fo your suggestion and reference for the setup. I'll have a look there.

Steven