Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

I am upgrading from a 3600 controller to a 7220.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  I am upgrading from a 3600 controller to a 7220.

Posted Jul 01, 2015 08:35 AM

I am upgrading from a 3600 controller to a 7220. The OS is 6.4.2.8 on both systems. I have done a flash backup and modified the the default.cfg file to reflect the differences for the port naming (interface gigabitethernet 0/0/0 vs interface gigabitethernet 1/0).

I have loaded the flash backup and done a restore flash. That seemed to work fine. I am able to login to the 7220 (running stand alone and not on the network) and get to the enable prompt. After ~ 1 minute with everything looking okay I get:

Shutdown process started
    Syncing data.....done.
    Please stand by while rebooting the system.

The system reboots and the whole thing starts over.

Any thoughts on what I missed? - What additional information would be useful?

Thank you,
    Frank

• 2.  RE: I am upgrading from a 3600 controller to a 7220.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2015 09:01 AM

Do this:

1.  Backup Flash on 3600 controller.  Save the file somewhere.

2.  Move/Migrate License(s)  from 3600 to the 7220 using the licensing site.  (save the keys that are generated somewhere)

3.  Get the 7200 up on the network with the version of code you want.

4.  Copy the flashbackup.tar.gz file to the 7220.

5.  Execute Restore Flash (do not reboot)

6.  Paste in the new licenses

7.  Get a console cable and plug it into the 7220

8.  Reboot the controller and DO NOT SAVE the CONFIGURATION  (if you save config, you will remove everything).

9.  After the controller reboots, reconfigure your interfaces on your 7220 using the console.

• 3.  RE: I am upgrading from a 3600 controller to a 7220.

Posted Jul 01, 2015 09:21 AM
    Thank you for the reply. I will give this a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Frank

• 4.  RE: I am upgrading from a 3600 controller to a 7220.

Posted Jul 09, 2015 06:02 AM

I have started to do this but the system continues to reboot after ~1 minute of run time.  I have erased everything and am currently in the process of reloading 6.4.2.8. Once that is done, I will try your instruction again.