Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

I finally got so fed up with the ArubaOS CLI

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  I finally got so fed up with the ArubaOS CLI

Posted May 20, 2015 12:45 PM

...that I created a feature request to make an option to turn of the stupid space completion feature.

You may vote for it here if you agree.

• 2.  RE: I finally got so fed up with the ArubaOS CLI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2015 12:47 PM

There are a few existing feature requests for this in the idea portal...

• 3.  RE: I finally got so fed up with the ArubaOS CLI

Posted May 20, 2015 12:49 PM

Yeah and also one to improve the search function in the portal which has never happened.

When I created the idea, the only other one to pop up was for adding syntactically-contexted completion of user-defined object names.

• 4.  RE: I finally got so fed up with the ArubaOS CLI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2015 12:54 PM
    I'm actually surprised you don't like it. Many folks find it very useful.
    Many other vendors have implemented it as well including Juniper.

• 5.  RE: I finally got so fed up with the ArubaOS CLI

Posted May 20, 2015 01:39 PM

Thanks for the warning about Juniper.

I don't know what background people who find that useful are, but it certainly is a coplete PITA if you've been doing CLI for decades and already know how to use tab complete, and for that matter, type.  Maybe it convenient for mobile users who do not have a tab key, but it sure as heck mucks things up when you are on a real keyboard.

A few of the reasons:

1) sometimes you want to type things like "conf term interf gi 0/0/0" and not end up with every word expanded so it all stays on one line

2) If you type, for example, "conf term interf gi 0/0/0" it will compilete the "interf" to interface and then not put a space there because it could also complete "interface-group" etc.  The end result is you have typed

"configure terminal interfacegi 0/0/0" and youhave to go back and put the space in.

3) Combining 1 with 2, it makes pasting scripts in treacherous if you've abbreviated when typing in the script.  Which, if you've years of experience with cisco and HP products, you will probably do out of habit.

4) If you type something like "config term rog " when you meant to type "config term rou " you have to then go back and delete all of "rogue-ap-containment" instead of just the errant "u ".

And a few things not directly related to space completion:

5) Tab completion is also broken because it behaves the same way space completion does.  When I type "config term interfTABTAB" I expect to get a list of all words I could validly type there.  I do not expect to have the first tab eaten, and the second tab put in a space even though there are alternate things I could now type.  Especially since the natural reflex after touching TAB and seeing nothing happen is to dwell on the TAB key a bit, which will, depending on your keyboard repeat rate, randomly give you a space or not.

6) To pick a less dangerous example, If you do somehow manage to line-edit your way into actually entering the command "config term sy abuse@example.com" you have just set your snmp syslocation, rather than your syscontact, when what should happen is you get an error that your command was ambiguous.

I find it super, super annoying.  Really I do.  Even more annoying as having to type "gigabitethernet " in places where I should not need to.