Wireless Access

New Contributor

I have 3 questions about access points

1. What makes an access point an "entre-level" access point, how do I identify them and what are their basic features

2. How do I identify and very sophisticated access point for business 

3. What antennas or other things are available to expand their coverage

Re: I have 3 questions about access points

1. For Aruba, generally our APs are broken up first into Families that pertain to the main wifi technology they posess.

802.11n - AP-1xx (135, 125, 115, 105, etc)

802.11ac Wave 1 - AP-2xx (275, 225, 215, 205, etc)

802.11ac Wave 2 - AP-3xx (335, 325, 315, 305, etc)

These are then broken up to indoor and outdoor (indoor is under x50, outdoor is over x60), so AP-275 is outdoor.

Then within a family (and indoor v outdoor), the higher the model number the more features and more performance

AP-335 will outperform the AP-325, the AP-315 will outperform the AP-305, etc.

Outdoor is usually reserved for the higher side (AP-27x, AP-36x), but remember family denotes main technology, not necessarily more performance. For example, an AP-225 (3x3:3 11ac Wave1) will out perform the AP-305 because it has more power, CPU, RAM, etc. Also, the outdoor AP-365 is NOT better performing than the AP-275, it's just a 2x2:2 Wave 2 AP so it belongs in the 3xx family, but the AP-27x (3x3:3 Wave 1) will out perform it.

2. That depends on your business needs. High user counts, high bandwidth requirements, high user densities, etc require better performing APs (325, 335). Lower user counts, more general use cases, lowe client densities don't need the horsepower and you can go lower (305, 315). Also your physical requirements may impact selection (do you need dual ethernet, then 325 and 335 are your only options, if you require multirate port, the 335 is your only option, etc). 

3. Most all indoor Aps have a connectorized option (usually AP-xx4, like the AP-334, AP-324, AP-314, etc). You can see our antenna lists here - http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/matrix/matrix-antennas.pdf. Antennas do not generall "expand" coverage. The amount of RF is fixed, so what you do with an antenna is re-shape the antenna to send more RF in one direction which results in less RF in another direction. I cannot stress enough, this video is incredibly informational in understanding antennas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAxJtRTzGOc. Watch this.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: