Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

Posted Aug 27, 2015 04:06 PM

I have logged in as password and tried to change the admin password but get the error:

Non-Compliant to Mgmt Passwrod Policy

Internal error occurred, Password validation failed

I've tried to reset the password by guessing comblinations of uppercase/lowercase/special characters/numbers but have had no success.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what else I might try?

• 2.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

Posted Aug 27, 2015 04:41 PM

You can reset the password by consoling into the controller and following these steps:

User: password
    Password: forgetme!
    (aruba) >enable
    Password: enable
    (aruba) #configure terminal
    Enter Configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z
    (aruba) (config) #mgmt-user admin root
    Password:
    Retype password:
    (aruba) (config) #exit
    (aruba) #exit
    (aruba) >exit

User: admin
    Password:
    (aruba) >enable
    (aruba) (config) #enable secret
    Password:
    Re-Type password:
    (aruba) (config) #write memory

• 3.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

Posted Aug 27, 2015 04:57 PM

Clembo,

I think OP tried that. If there's a password policy set, he must match it to set a new password.

I found a few other threads with the same experience, but none of them had an answer.

One did imply that he'd have to wipe the configuration.

Anyone know how to change or circumvent the policy?

• 4.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 27, 2015 06:16 PM

Thanks Matthew, I see that now.

Try and run the following from the console:

(aruba) >enable
    (aruba) #show running-config | begin password-policy

This may show you the current password-policy for the mgmt users.   If so, try the procedure from ealier with the proper values.

• 5.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

Posted Aug 28, 2015 08:28 AM

I get the message:

You do not have permission to execute this show command.

Does this mean I need to wipe the configuration, if so how would I do that?

• 6.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 10:20 AM

You will first have to reset the password for admin when you use 'password'forgetme!', the ONLY command you are allowed to run is the 

conf t

mgmt-user admin root

<resetpassword>

Then log out and back in with Admin and your new password (enable resets to 'enable') and then you can run whatever commands you want.

• 7.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 10:42 AM

I came across this recently after I restored a customers configuration onto a lab controller.

I didn't know their admin password so went through the password recovery feature.  After that I couldn't reset the admin password due to password-policy.

The solution for me was to create a new mgmt-user and log in with that account.  You should then be able to view the config and password-policy.

(aruba) >enable
    (aruba) (config) #mgmt-user anotheruser root
    Password:
    Retype password:
    (aruba) (config) #exit
    (aruba) #exit
    (aruba) >exit

• 8.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

Posted Aug 28, 2015 10:55 AM

When I try to reset the admin password it fails, because of a password policy:
    (aruba) >enable
    (aruba) (config) #mgmt-user admin root
    Password:
    Retype password:
    (aruba) (config) #exit
    (aruba) #exit
    (aruba) >exit

When I try to create a new users, if fails, because of a password policy:
    (aruba) >enable
    (aruba) (config) #mgmt-user anotheruser root
    Password:
    Retype password:
    (aruba) (config) #exit
    (aruba) #exit
    (aruba) >exit

When I try to see the password policy, it fails because I don't have permissions to run the command:
    (aruba) >enable
    (aruba) #show running-config | begin password-policy

You do not have permissions to execute this show command

• 9.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 11:20 AM

do you have a flashbackup from this controller?

• 10.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 11:28 AM

Are you trying to use an absurdly complex password? something like:

!QAZ2wsx#EDC4rfv1234QWERasdfZXCV

If that won't work, I'm not sure what your options are short of re-imaging the controller. But using an absurdly long complex password won't work, and without knowing the policy, I'm not sure what's left.

• 11.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 11:29 AM

Why don't you use a password generator to exceed all of the possible complexity like this:  https://identitysafe.norton.com/password-generator/# and create a complicated password?

• 12.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

Posted Nov 02, 2017 02:58 PM

I am having this same issue in a Lab.  It seems to have happened by changing the boot partition.  In my lab im actually going back to an older code revision.  When I got to the older code I couldn't log in, same issue as described, password reset wouldnt work.  I had to go into the cpboot and changed the boot partition back to the code version it was at when user/password was working, got in no problem.  Changed the admin password to a more complex password and changed the boot partition back to the older code version.  Loaded the old code back up, same problem, couldn't log into the controller and couldnt change the mgmt-user admin root due to error mentioned.  I had to wipe the controller on the code version it was working on, change the boot partition to the older code I needed to be on for my lab, then reload into default configuration on the older code.

• 13.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

Posted Jun 24, 2018 12:19 PM

I agree that this process definitely works.  I have added some small text differences as of 6/2018 on firmware 6.5. 

I found that running the "minimal-setup" on bootup will get you stuck vs "full-setup".  I am not running the FIPS version of the firmware which is mentioned in many articles.

"Non-compliant to management password policy"

######################

To clear the configuration

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
    cpboot> 
    cpboot> setenv cfgfile default1.cfg
    cpboot> saveenv
    cpboot> bootf

After I ran the 'full-setup' wizard and rebooted, I had to go into cpboot again and change the cfgfile back.

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
    cpboot> 
    cpboot> setenv cfgfile
    cpboot> saveenv
    Saving Environment to Flash...

cpboot>bootf

• 14.  RE: I have a controller that has a password policy on it and I do not know the admin password.

Posted Nov 19, 2019 06:19 PM

I got cpxboot not cpboot ? How can I do ? 

Thank you,