Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

I was given 2 Aruba Networks AP6.1...

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  I was given 2 Aruba Networks AP6.1...

Posted Dec 02, 2011 03:33 AM

... and I have no idea how these work.

So basicly when our neighbouring company moved to a new location they left behind these two APs from Aruba Networking and seeing as my small company had no WiFi I thougth I made myself quite a bargain by getting these two for free.

Unfortunaley they did not work out of the box and the company that moved did not leave behind anything else from Aruba (no documentation or other devices). So I figured I'll post here for some advice on how to get these to work for my company. I've been reading some of the documentation available on the web but I'm not an IT expert so I didn't get much out of it.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could tell me whether it is possible or not for me to setup these devices for my company.

Device model: AP61

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: I was given 2 Aruba Networks AP6.1...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2011 04:04 AM

Both of these access points require a controller to work.  Do you have a controller?

• 3.  RE: I was given 2 Aruba Networks AP6.1...

Posted Dec 02, 2011 05:26 AM

As I said, no other devices were left behind, only the these two APs, so no I do not have a controller.

• 4.  RE: I was given 2 Aruba Networks AP6.1...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2011 05:28 AM

They cannot work without a controller, unfortunately.

• 5.  RE: I was given 2 Aruba Networks AP6.1...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2011 08:40 AM

They aren't completely worthless. Talk to your VAR. You may be able to trade them in for a couple IAP-105 (which have a virtual controller built into the AP).

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/US_Canada_11abg_Trade-in_End_User_Flyer.pdf