Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

IAP-103's

Has anyone installed many of the new IAP-103's?  If so, how is the speed?  I'm getting really bad speeds with mine.

Frequent Contributor II

Re: IAP-103's

I tried installing 5 IAP-103's, but I couldn't get it to work properly using Instant so I converted it to campus AP's. Once that was done everything was stable. I didn't notice any speed issues? What types of devices are you testing with & how are you testing speed?

Network Engineer | Airhead | Titus 3:5
New Contributor

It is hard to answer your question without knowing at least an approximate network set up. What type of location, what type of traffic prevalent, is there firewall, are the APs in mesh, etc?  

Occasional Contributor I

Yea, I was just wondering in general if anyone had been having any issues?   I have two IAP-103's installed.  Each are hardwired (gig) and I have about 6 clients per AP.  I've used internet speed tests and IPerf and am getting around 20mbps to my wireless clients.  That's even when I'm standing under the access point.

New Contributor

I assume you do not have any bandwidth limits set up. What is the actual spped of the circuit? Additionnaly, try to play with interference immunity level in radio configs, using the follwoing gradation: 

- Level 0— no ANI adaptation. 

- Level 1— Noise immunity only. This level enables power-based packet detection
by controlling the amount of power increase that makes a radio aware that it has
received a packet.
  - Level 2— Noise and spur immunity. This level also controls the detection of
OFDM packets, and is the default setting for the Noise Immunity feature.
  - Level 3— Level 2 settings and weak OFDM immunity. This level minimizes false
detects on the radio due to interference, but may also reduce radio sensitivity.
This level is recommended for environments with a high-level of interference
related to 2.4 GHz appliances such as cordless phones.
  - Level 4— Level 3 settings, and FIR immunity. At this level, the AP adjusts its
sensitivity to in-band power, which can improve performance in environments
with high and constant levels of noise interference.
  - Level 5— The AP completely disables PHY error reporting, improving
performance by eliminating the time the IAP would spend on PHY processing.

Keep in mind that this is used mostly for high-interference environments 

Maybe there is something you can do with your ARM configs. 

Anyway, hope that you will manage to increase the speed. 

Vlad Tsapko | Solution Delivery Advisor 

[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]

Occasional Contributor I

What control's which AP the clients roam to?  I noticed yesterday that one of the laptops was connected to the AP on the other side of the building when there was another AP just a few feet away.  The connection speed was good, but the device was showing a lot of retries.  The laptop stayed associated to the further AP until I rebooted it.

Guru Elite

The client decides what AP it connects to. You can use ClientMatch to help sway that decision. Do you have it enabled?

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Occasional Contributor I

The tech I was working with told me to disable it. He said it had problems with Apple devices.

MVP

I would first check the basics

1-To what band are the devices  connecting? 2.4ghz? 5ghz?

2-What type of antenna does your devices has? 1x1? 2x2??

3-Do you see a lot of noise on 2.4ghz? do you see your clients connecting to it?

4-If you do a ping  for example to the default gateway, do you see a lot of packet drops?  in a good connection you will not see any packet drop.

There are soo many things that can make that outcome happen.

We have clients with instant AP 103 and they are all good.

Just to give you an example

We had   a client in which had performance issue with an ap 105(note that is was NOT the ap fault)

in this scenario the  client was connected to 2.4ghz(buecase the antenna of the devices was bgn 1x1)

He had a lot of noise in the 2.4ghz and of course he had performance issues on it plus he was asking me why the max speed was 65mbs when he bough an AP which it suppose to go up to 300Mbps... and i had to explain him about the antenas and that with 1x1 just can go up to 65Mbps and it has nothing to do with the AP.  

So check the basics first before going some indeep troubleshooting...

Bealive me a good design with aruba actually you rarely will need to troubleshoot :)  aruba just works...

Cheers

Carlos

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
Frequent Contributor II

In one of my recent installs I was noticing that a WIndows 8 laptop was performing significantly better than an iPhone using internet speed tests. Consistently I was getting 25Mb Up & Down with my laptop, but only 5-10 on an iPhone 5. Both right next to the AP. Like others have mentioned this is going to depend on the antennas in the client itself. Although, I have seen my iPhone 5 get much higher performance in other wireless networks.
Network Engineer | Airhead | Titus 3:5
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: