Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 175 and Ant-90

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP 175 and Ant-90

Posted Jan 26, 2014 11:38 AM

Hello's

I'm looking to deploy IAP-175's with the Ant-90 antenna. Given that the 175 has 4 antenna's should I plan for "2" Ant-90 antenna's for every IAP-175 ?

thanks 

Blue

• 2.  RE: IAP 175 and Ant-90

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2014 07:09 PM

It depends on how you are deploying your coverage.  The AP-ANT-90 is a downtilt omnidirectional antenna, so that means it is suitable for mounting 30 to 40 feet above in a warehouse where you need coverage on the floor.  It has two connectors, so you would only need a single AP-ANT-90 antenna for each band.  So if you only want 2.4ghz coverage, you will only need one AP-ANT-90 antenna.  If you want both 2.4ghz and 5ghz coverage, you will need two AP-ANT-90 antennas.  That is IF that is the antenna you need for that application...

• 3.  RE: IAP 175 and Ant-90

Posted Jan 26, 2014 10:00 PM

Just to be extra clear....Colin is not saying that you can use one (1) ANT-90 and connect a pigtail to each radio  (leaving the other chain unconnected).

MIMO radios must have all chains connected.   So if you want dual band coverage, you need two (2) ANT-90s.

Also, ANT-90 is perfectly good higher than 30-40ft (10-15m).   In fact, the antenna was originally developed for seaport high mast lighting systems.  We have them deployed as high as 50 meters and they work great.

• 4.  RE: IAP 175 and Ant-90

Posted Jan 26, 2014 11:29 PM

Thanks for your responses. I guess I was mistaken and maybe more confused after both posts. I apologize if the next few questions are dumb.

From the Spec sheet, I understand that the antenna is a dual band antenna.   To quote the sheet  ".....The Aruba AP-ANT-90 is a dual-band, spatial diversity....." . Am I misunderstanding this? And if it is dual band and only has two connectors in different bands and MIMO radios must have all chains connected does this not also imply that I require two Ant-90's? I must be overthinking this or simply not getting it. Please advise.

Also, what If i do not desire dual band coverage? What If i only want 2.4Ghz? The implementation is a warehouse, 50ft tall hence  the question.

thanks again for your time and expertise,

Blue

• 5.  RE: IAP 175 and Ant-90

Posted Jan 27, 2014 12:14 AM

Blue,

Both connectors are dual band.    

• 6.  RE: IAP 175 and Ant-90

Posted Jan 27, 2014 12:21 AM

Thanks cl

So could I get one AP ant-90 and connect to Radio 0 and Radio 1? And does this not violate the "not all chains are connected?"

thanks,

Blue

• 7.  RE: IAP 175 and Ant-90
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 27, 2014 12:28 AM

no.   

you need 2 ANT-90s.

connect both pigtails on one to the 2.4GHz radio.

connect both pigtails on the other to the 5GHz radio.

• 8.  RE: IAP 175 and Ant-90

Posted Jan 27, 2014 12:33 AM

Thanks for your quick response. Much appreciated. 

Blue