Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Feb 26, 2017 03:20 PM

I have a brand new IAP-205H that is getting power from POE.  The System Status lights blinks green for a minute or two and then turns solid green.  After 30 seconds or so, the LED begins to blink again as if it is restarting.

I've looked over my DHCP IP's and cannot find the IAP-205H being assigned an IP.  I have not once seen the Instant SSID come up either.

I have tried to restart the IAP-205H many times and same results each time.  I have also made sure that the reset button has not gotten stuck somehow.

Any advice/guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

• 3.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Feb 26, 2017 05:06 PM

Yes, plugged into orange E0 on the back side.

• 4.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2017 06:01 PM

Does the sticker say IAP or AP-205?

• 5.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Feb 26, 2017 06:10 PM

The sticker says IAP-205H-US

• 6.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2017 08:45 PM

Do you have another IAP cluster on that subnet?

• 7.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Feb 27, 2017 02:59 AM

Negative, it is the only Aruba IAP that I have.

• 8.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

MVP
    Posted Feb 27, 2017 04:09 AM

"I've looked over my DHCP IP's and cannot find the IAP-205H being assigned an IP.  I have not once seen the Instant SSID come up either."

That might be your problm. It needs DHCP to bring up the instant SSID and if, for whatever reason, it cannot complete its boot it will reboot and try again untill it succeeds.

Please check if a corret vlan with DHCP enabled is active on whatever port you plug him in.

I don't suppose you have the serial cable to be able to console into the AP and see what;s happening?  (grmbl at Aruba for implementing that that 'weird' console connector)

• 9.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Feb 27, 2017 08:46 AM

I have checked the vlan and made sure that DHCP is active on that port.  Still no access or change.

I do not have a serial cable, sorry.

• 10.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

MVP
    Posted Feb 28, 2017 11:53 AM

sorry for the late reply..

Pretty much the only thing left you can try is a factory reset I think. Maybe that works, probably it doesn't. 

From the installation guide at https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Default.aspx?EntryId=16553:

Push Button
    The push button located on the right side of the AP can be used to reset the AP to factory default settings or turn off/on the LED display.
     To reset the AP to factory default settings:
    1. Power off the AP.
    2. Press and hold the push button using a small, narrow object, such as a paperclip.
    3. Power-on the AP without releasing the push button. The system status LED will flash within 5 seconds.
    4. Release the push button.
    The system status LED will flash again within 15 seconds indicating that the reset is completed. The AP will now continue to boot with the factory default
    settings.
     To turn off/on the system status LED:
    During the normal operation of the AP, press the push button using a small, narrow object, such as a paperclip. The system status LED will be turned off/on immediately.

• 11.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Dec 21, 2017 04:56 PM

I have exact same problem, factory reset does not solve the problem.  Did you fix it?

• 12.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Dec 21, 2017 05:05 PM

So I have to brand new units, I tried 2 separate routers. I am not getting IP address on any of them for some reason

Here is some lldp info

LLDP Remote Device Information Detail

Local Port   : 4
      ChassisType  : mac-address         
      ChassisId    : 00 0b 86 fd f4 52        
      PortType     : mac-address                                               
      PortId       : 00 0b 86 fd f4 52                                         
      SysName      :                                 
      System Descr : ArubaOS (MODEL: 205H), Version 6.4.3.6 (52927)              
      PortDescr    : eth0                                                        
      Pvid         :                          

System Capabilities Supported  : bridge, wlan-access-point
      System Capabilities Enabled    :

Remote Management Address

• 13.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Dec 26, 2017 04:39 AM

I have same problem with my AP 204. It always restart and no SSID. So I cannot login with Web UI

I try connect it by serial cable and below is my putty

aruba ap 204 fault.png

Please help me! I just want to login with Web UI for change something.

Thank for reading

• 14.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

MVP
    Posted Dec 26, 2017 05:24 AM
    Are you sure you sure you have an Instant AP? Check this first. The model needs to be IAP-204.
    If it is labeled AP-204, you need a controller to use the APs.

• 15.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Dec 26, 2017 10:50 AM

Yes, it is labeled AP-204.

Can i login it by Web UI without controller ???

• 16.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 26, 2017 01:25 PM

Unfortunately, the AP-204 requires a controller to work.

• 17.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Dec 26, 2017 01:36 PM

I am pretty sure mine is IAP but can't confrm the label now.   Instant or not it should get IP address, controller is secondary thing. What can be done about this then?

• 18.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 26, 2017 01:49 PM

@mke wrote:

I am pretty sure mine is IAP but can't confrm the label now.   Instant or not it should get IP address, controller is secondary thing. What can be done about this then?

Is it new?  If it is not new and a static ip address is set, it will not request an ip address.  It should be reset to be able to request an ip address.

• 19.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Dec 26, 2017 08:40 PM

I have two units, one of them was new. I tried to reset both using the link from this topic like 15 times. I was trying two different routers. They dont get IPs for some strange reason. Will try to connect it to controller just to make sure, if not this may need to be probably reflushed or sth.

UPDATE:

It does not look like it broadcast anything even with active internet link.

Next step will be connect to controller, let's see

• 20.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 27, 2017 01:33 AM

You first need to validate that they are IAPs and not APs.  Please look at the sticker so that you do not consume your time needlessly.

If they are indeed IAPs, they should broadcast the "Instant" SSID in 5 minutes tops, even without a DHCP server, technically.  The  ethernet link would have to be up, though.

It is entirely possible if it is an Instant AP with an external antenna connector and it is the first IAP in the cluster it will not broadcast anything until you set the antenna gain.  That means you would have to find out what ip address the device obtained from your DHCP server and "web" into the ip address of the device to set the antenna gain.  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_423_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/CustomizeIAPParams/Configuring External Antenna.htm?Highlight=gain

• 21.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Dec 27, 2017 08:42 AM

It is not IAP, let me see if it broadcasts SSID without IP.  It is kind of strange anyway because other AP controller based will get them regardless of controller presense.

• 22.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 27, 2017 09:42 AM
    If it is not an IAP it will not broadcast the Instant SSID, period.

• 23.  RE: IAP-205H Constantly Restarting, No Instant SSID or IP Address

Posted Dec 27, 2017 10:47 AM

Right.

Just testing it with controller and it recognize it and assigning IP properly, strange let see if it can work as a RAP.

UPDATE

They do work as RAP

Now I need to figrue out the way to get default password or flashing looking like aruba 225 AP model JL016A to make it work like CAP RAP IAP whatever, do you have any idea how?