Wireless Access

Regular Contributor I

IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

hello,

am i right, Mesh on IAP92/93 isnt supported, right? read in some archive thread of august 2011 that it's not supported.

imagine we have 2 IAP105 , if those are both powered on PoE and dont see each other on the network cause location is different . Is it possibile to create a Mesh between those and use the ETH ports to give wired access to connected devices like routers/switches behind the mesh point ?  e.g. wired_ap access as configured on campus APs, doing Mesh ...

works or not ? as reading userguide of IAP regarding mesh it says if not connected to Ethernet it tries automatically to create a mesh network. what if you change the default "instand" SSID and change the PSK ?

am i right, that if you first let those IAP's connect to each other and built up their "virtual controller" environment. then you create your PSK wifi and as soon as the IAP gets only connected via power then it automatically tries to connect to the master virtual controller just with the configured PSK and builds up his mesh network right?

same happens when IAPs are factory-defaulted in IAP OS 6.x then they connect via the pre-configured "instant" SSID the same way right?

regards

ben

Regular Contributor I

Re: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

The customer szenario would work here cause the plan is only Mesh Network , and no local user-wifi access :

"If you configure a single-radio IAP to deliver mesh services only (by disabling the mesh radio in its 802.11a
or 802.11g radio profile) that mesh node will not deliver WLAN services to its clients."

regards

ben

Regular Contributor I

But is it working as a "wifi cable", like you use 2 IAP to solve some "wifi bridge" solution , one is mesh portal with access to wired LAN , and on the IAP mesh point you connect other branch LAN ... does this work? controller/campus AP and mesh = yes , but IAP too ?

regards

Guru Elite

IAP 105 cannot bridge wired traffic through mesh.  Once the ethernet link is up on an IAP-105, meshing stops.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Regular Contributor I

So there's no chance to have wired_access on the ETH port on the IAP_meshpoint, regardless of being single_radio (mesh link only..) or dual_radio meshpoint . correct?

so if you want such a constealltion you need controller/campus AP instlaled as meshpoints, there it's possible to have traffic on the wired_access_port . we use such a solution for mobile LCD panels connected with ethernet to the meshpoint and wired_access is possible there.

So limited "mesh" stuff on IAP regarding wired_access on the eth port correct?

regards

ben

Guru Elite

No wired access on IAP-105 when using mesh, is all I know...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

I am have been testing this in my lab and cannot get the IAP mesh point to bridge any traffic via ethernet.  Like the other folks said, as soon as I plug in the ethernet, the AP reboots and boots up as a mesh portal which pretty much makes the Mesh useless for any kind of wired access.

what if I have a IAP 92, single mode radio?  I want to use the 5ghz as a backhaul and bridge from the ethernet port.  is that possible?  otherwise meshing an IAP92 is useless since there is no other radio for even client access.

I have a support case open with the TAC to see if they can help me out. seems like all you would have to do is boot it up as a mesh point and somehow force the ethernet port not to reboot once it notices a link.  with the limited cli there is in the IAP's this not seem possible unless there are some behind the scenes commands an Aruba TAC rep can run to override its normal operation.

Mesh is not supported on IAP 92/93. Mesh is only supported on dual radio IAPs such as IAP 105.

Shashi

Frequent Contributor I

So my only option with an IAP 92/93 would be to convert them to normal AP's and use a controller to mesh them together, correct?

I believe this will work. I will confirm and post reply in a bit.

thanks

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: