Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP converted into CAP before, now migratie to a new controller-IP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP converted into CAP before, now migratie to a new controller-IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 14, 2018 03:52 PM

Hi airheads friends,

We have 60 IAP-305 accesspoints that are converted from IAP to CAP by putting the controller IP in the web-gui of the instantcluster. They all working fine with a 6.x controller.

Now we have build a new seperate ArubaOS 8 cluster and i like to move the IAP-305's to the new cluster with a new cluster IP.

Normaly i trust on AP that will do the ADP dicovery process. But iam a little confused because those AP where IAP's that are converted to CAP.

Because those where IAP before, do i have to point the controller IP adress again? or do they use the normal DCHP option, DNS, ADP broadcast after they once converted before?

• 2.  RE: IAP converted into CAP before, now migratie to a new controller-IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2018 04:09 PM

IAPs that are converted to CAPs by default, only point to the ip address of the controller that converted them.  You will have to reprovision with the ADP option, instead.

• 3.  RE: IAP converted into CAP before, now migratie to a new controller-IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 14, 2018 04:25 PM
    Hi Cjosheph,

Thanks for your answer.

Understand i have to reprovision the ap when it comes visible in the new controller.

But how find the converted iap to cap the new controller in the first place?

When in connect the iap (cap) in the new vlan do it find the controller by adp in the same way as a normal ap does? In mean do it lookup dchp options/dns aruba-master, etc.?

• 4.  RE: IAP converted into CAP before, now migratie to a new controller-IP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2018 04:53 PM

To be clear, when you convert an access point from an IAP to a CAP with a controller, it statically points to the ip address of the controller that converted it.  To change the behavior to the default behavior, you would need to select ADP instead and reboot, and it will make all the default discovery methods available (dns, dhcp, etc).

Screenshot 2018-09-14 at 15.49.54.png

• 5.  RE: IAP converted into CAP before, now migratie to a new controller-IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 14, 2018 05:48 PM

Hi C