Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP or RAP to act as a client and provide wi-fi for wired printer

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP or RAP to act as a client and provide wi-fi for wired printer

Posted Oct 01, 2014 02:11 PM

Looking for a solution and not sure if this is possible.

What I'm trying to achieve is this.  We are deploying new printers in our environment and some locations do not have an available ethernet drop. 

I was hoping to use an IAP or RAP to act as a bridge between the printer and our existing wireless network, by plugging the printer into IAP/RAP and having the IAP/RAP then connect to our wi-fi network.

We have successfully used other wireless bridges like the Silex in the link below but was hoping that an Aruba product could also be used and therefore managed.

http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/Silex-SX-BR-4600WAN-wireless-bridge/3034152.aspx?enkwrd=SX-BR-4600WAN

Thanks in advance.

Jason

• 2.  RE: IAP or RAP to act as a client and provide wi-fi for wired printer

Posted Oct 01, 2014 02:36 PM

What type of IAPs do you have ?

• 3.  RE: IAP or RAP to act as a client and provide wi-fi for wired printer

Posted Oct 01, 2014 02:44 PM

We are currently using AP-225 to provide Wi-Fi to our customers and I am trying to use a RAP-109 as a bridge between the printer and our Wi-Fi.

• 4.  RE: IAP or RAP to act as a client and provide wi-fi for wired printer

Posted Oct 01, 2014 03:38 PM

This is what you can do:

- Configure the one of the RAP109 as campus AP (Mesh Portal) where there's a wired connection and then mesh it with another RAP109 and configure it as a mesh point  and use the secure jack option.

How far will these locations will be from each other ?

• 5.  RE: IAP or RAP to act as a client and provide wi-fi for wired printer

Posted Oct 01, 2014 03:36 PM
    It is not available on the 225 yet but we do the same thing with 115s and 105s in mesh mode. The 105 is the mesh point and the 115 the portal. All you have to do then is configure the wired port of the point to have the vlan you want your printer on. The code support for mesh with AC APs becomes available sometime in Q4 if I recall but you could confirm with TAC.

• 6.  RE: IAP or RAP to act as a client and provide wi-fi for wired printer

Posted Oct 01, 2014 08:25 PM
    If it's a PSK network and not 802.1x you could use wireless uplink in Instant; if you simply want to extend your wired VLAN the mesh would be the better option.