Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP275 connecting to two wifi networks simultaneously

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  IAP275 connecting to two wifi networks simultaneously

Posted Apr 10, 2018 04:44 PM

Hello,

Im running a local setup on my mac using IAP275, SSID is configure, My camera connections without issue images are tranfered to computer via FTP automatically.

The issue im having, I connect to the (MY_Camera SSID) i created to establish the connection IAP supply the IP address, the images are transferd via FTP to my station, the problem I`m having is that i have to disconnect from my (MY_Camera SSID) to access the internet, when i disconnect my camera connect is lost, is there a way that i can be connected to both simultaneously? Camera is connected and I have access to the internet as well, also, the IAP is connected to 8 port cisco switch and power is supplied over POE.

Kirk

Kirk

• 2.  RE: IAP275 connecting to two wifi networks simultaneously

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2018 05:28 PM

Is the MY_Camera SSID hosted on your camera, or on the IAP275? In other words, are both SSIDs on the IAP275, or are you connecting to the MY_Camera SSID on one radio, and then switching to another SSID on the IAP275's radio(s)?

• 3.  RE: IAP275 connecting to two wifi networks simultaneously

Posted Apr 11, 2018 12:13 AM

Is the MY_Camera SSID hosted on your camera, or on the IAP275?

MY_Camera SSID is the connection i made on the IAP, i use the camera to connect to MY_Camera SSID im able to take pictures and they transfer wirelesly

In other words, are both SSIDs on the IAP275

NO, the MY_Camera SSID is on the IAP275 the other wifi connection that i use to access the internet is on the Mac`s internal wifi, while camera is connected to the IAP275 (MY_CAMERA SSID)

Kirk

• 4.  RE: IAP275 connecting to two wifi networks simultaneously

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2018 12:19 AM

Got it. So no, your Mac's wifi adapter can not be associated to two different wireless networks simultaneously. 

Two possible options: get the IAP275 connected to an internet connection so that both the camera and your Mac connect to it (the IAP275), and from there the Mac can access both the camera as well as the Internet. Or, add a second wireless adapter to your Mac so that it can associate to both wireless networks simultaneously.

My experience has been it's easier to get the IAP275 wired to Internet access than to add a second wireless adapter to macOS, but depending on how/where the IAP275 is installed, that may not always be the case.

• 5.  RE: IAP275 connecting to two wifi networks simultaneously

Posted Apr 11, 2018 02:45 PM

WOW.

How would I go about doing this?

(Two possible options: get the IAP275 connected to an internet connection so that both the camera and your Mac connect to it (the IAP275), and from there the Mac can access both the camera as well as the Internet.)

The IAP275 is connected to Mac via Cisco switch, and its Powered over Ethernet, is it possible to internet that way as well?

(My experience has been it's easier to get the IAP275 wired to Internet access than to add a second wireless adapter to macOS, but depending on how/where the IAP275 is installed, that may not always be the case.)

• 6.  RE: IAP275 connecting to two wifi networks simultaneously

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2018 04:02 PM

Is there a wired Internet (ethernet) feed available? If so, you could connect that into your Cisco switch.

• 7.  RE: IAP275 connecting to two wifi networks simultaneously

Posted Apr 11, 2018 04:14 PM
      |   view attached

Is there a wired Internet (ethernet) feed available? If so, you could connect that into your Cisco switch.

The mac ethernet is connected to the switch in the (see picture) the white RJ45 cable, the blue RJ45 leeds to the IAP275 for connection and POE, will that work? or do i have to connect another RJ45 cable from the IAP275 to the switch because the IAP has two ethernet ports? or can I just use the existing connection the POE?

• 8.  RE: IAP275 connecting to two wifi networks simultaneously

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2018 05:04 PM

@Kirkwrote:

The mac ethernet is connected to the switch in the (see picture) the white RJ45 cable, the blue RJ45 leeds to the IAP275 for connection and POE, will that work? or do i have to connect another RJ45 cable from the IAP275 to the switch because the IAP has two ethernet ports? or can I just use the existing connection the POE?

If the facility/venue has wired ethernet available, you would take that cable and connect it into a third port on your switch. No additional cabling is needed between the IAP275 and the switch to make that change.

• 9.  RE: IAP275 connecting to two wifi networks simultaneously

Posted Apr 11, 2018 05:51 PM

understood.