Wireless Access

Contributor II

IAP275 mesh signal strength

Hi,

I did an outdoor site survey with IAP-275s. After the site survey was done the customer decided he wanted to mesh access points instead of cabling them all.

It's a fairly large outdoor area, with trees and buildings. We have the measurements in Ekahau so that's not a problem, I just don't know what the ideal signal strength (and SNR) is for a mesh to work properly on the 5GHz frequency band.

I know you shouldn't really go over 3 hops, but that's about it.. I couldn't really find any other topics on this for the IAP-275.

Kind regards,

Tom

Re: IAP275 mesh signal strength

SNR/Mesh Link RSSI between 20-40 is deal (20 will be lower but stable MCS rates). Anything over 40 is overkill. 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Contributor II

Ok thanks, so as long as I have an SNR of <20, signal strength doesn't matter?

it matters yes, stronger is better up to or just over ~40. lower SNR will result in lower MCS rates . Only you or the customer will know what is acceptable. What are they throughput requirements and what channel bandwidths are they looking at? If they only need 5-10, then yea it won't matter much. If they are looking for 60-80Mbps, it will, esp when you take ACI and trees, buildings, other obstructions, etc in to account. 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: