Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IP Conflict

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  IP Conflict

Posted Apr 26, 2013 12:19 PM

I am getting an IP Conflict with internal IP address of 10.128.114.10.  This IP address is what is handed out to clients connected to the Wireless.  The client is saying it has a conflict and the gives me the MAC address of the devise that is is having the conflict with.  I find out it is the Controller itself which is on a different VLAN and IP address all together 10.128.13.10. 

Not sure how this would happen to be conflicting with the controller.  Do any of you?

This is the event log of the client:

The system detected an address conflict for IP address 10.128.114.10 with the system having network hardware address 00-0B-86-13-FC-00. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result.

• 2.  RE: IP Conflict

Posted Apr 26, 2013 12:21 PM

Who is the dhcp server?

In the DHCP server you need to exclude the IP address of the range that distribute the DHCP server so it wont distribute that address

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: IP Conflict

Posted Apr 26, 2013 12:23 PM

Right we have that in place, but why would it be giving it out to the controller?  I am really wondering if this just a ghost error and I am just chading my tail. 

Thanks

• 4.  RE: IP Conflict

Posted Apr 26, 2013 12:44 PM

ah so you mean that the Controller is getting a DHCP Address on one of his interfaces?

• 5.  RE: IP Conflict

Posted Apr 26, 2013 01:11 PM

Not that I can see on the controller but the client is reporting it.  What is wierd as well is that I can ping the 10.128.114.10 on the network so I was just trying to see if anybody has ever seen that before or if there is an issue.  I am leaning toward and ironious error message to make my friday go by faster.  Thanks for the Help and disscussion

• 6.  RE: IP Conflict

Posted Apr 26, 2013 07:57 PM

Out of left field, but possibly related:

We have used Adtran layer-3 switches at some of our locations. We've found that they send a "helpful" ICMP message to clients with bad subnet masks telling them that they might want to check their settings. Windows clients nearly always interpret that as an IP address Conflict, and it almost never is.

If you haven't got an Adtran switch to blame, perhaps some other device? I don't know if the Aruba gear sends such "helpful" messages.

• 7.  RE: IP Conflict

Posted Apr 26, 2013 08:33 PM
    Thank you. I will take a look.