Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IP addresses that are not in DHCP scope being assigned to wireless clients

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IP addresses that are not in DHCP scope being assigned to wireless clients

Posted Nov 20, 2014 11:02 AM

Hello,

I have a number of IP addresses that are not in any assigned DHCP scope in my network

These addresses are assigned to wireless clients that are 802.1x authenticated and assigned

the proper role base.  These clients are attached to different AP's throughout the campus.  The only common denominator is that they are all Android clients.  The range of IP addresses are all over.  Example   50.x.x.x   51.x.x.x  30.x.x.x 100.x.x.x

Again none of these IP ranges are assigned by the controller or our Campus DHCP server.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-James-

• 2.  RE: IP addresses that are not in DHCP scope being assigned to wireless clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2014 11:07 AM

Try turning on "Enforce DHCP" in your AAA profile.  Alternatively, you can turn on "aaa user fast-age"  https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/R-286

• 3.  RE: IP addresses that are not in DHCP scope being assigned to wireless clients

Posted Nov 20, 2014 11:23 AM

Thanks Joseph,

By turning that on will it allow addresses to be assigned by the DHCP server, which is not the controller (we do not use the controller for DHCP)

Do you have any idea why this is happening to some not all of my Android clients?

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: IP addresses that are not in DHCP scope being assigned to wireless clients
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2014 11:31 AM

- It will ONLY allow DHCP addresses that are seen being given out by your DHCP server (enforce dhcp)

- WAN address leakage happens on devices that are connected on 3g/4g.  It is fairly common. You might even see it on devices that have Virtual Machines installed.

• 5.  RE: IP addresses that are not in DHCP scope being assigned to wireless clients

Posted Feb 06, 2015 02:15 PM

Hello,

I have checked on my controller under the AAA and the option "Enforce DHCP" has already been enabled but I am also seeing IP addresss that are not on part of the DHCP scope.

Thanks,

Rick

• 6.  RE: IP addresses that are not in DHCP scope being assigned to wireless clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 06, 2015 02:18 PM

@RickS82 wrote:

Hello,

I have checked on my controller under the AAA and the option "Enforce DHCP" has already been enabled but I am also seeing IP addresss that are not on part of the DHCP scope.

Thanks,

Rick

RickS82,

You might want to check with support to make sure you configured the correct AAA profile.  If you have, it could be a bug.  Open a TAC case to see.

You can type "show user-table verbose" to see what AAA profile corresponds to your clients.