Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IPSec throughput in RAP mode

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  IPSec throughput in RAP mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2012 02:02 PM

Hello

In order to make some design decisions I'd like to know the max IPSec throughput of Aruba APs. I've been looking for a table or something like that but can't find one? Do you have any info of the sort?

Thanks a lot

Regards

• 2.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2012 02:14 PM

Typical max encrypted throughput for RAP platforms:

- RAP-2: 4Mbps

- RAP-3: 20Mbps

- RAP-5: 80Mbps

• 3.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Nov 12, 2012 06:06 PM

Oharms, good post and information thanks for sharing it

But i got a few quetisons for you

When you say maximum ipsec throughput do you mean the maximum throughput i willl get for the clients behind the rap?

let say for example

If i got 5 users behidn a rap 2 they will have a maximum thoughput of 4mbs? or it will be  4 mbs minus the ipsec overhead?

• 4.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2012 06:11 PM

The numbers I mentioned are what's available to the clients. Note that the additional IPSec overhead is marginal.

• 5.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Nov 12, 2012 06:12 PM

i suppose this is 4mbs downstream and 4 mbs upstream right?

• 6.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Nov 12, 2012 06:16 PM

also im needing this infor for design...

This is my last question

how many users behind rap2, rap3 and rap 5 is recommended(wired and wireless combined)?

at least im thinking that for rap2 it would be no more than 4 or 5...just to give an example...

• 7.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2012 05:05 PM

I don't have any official numbers to respond to this yet (will try to obtain those), but as a guideline I would suggest 5, 20 and 50. The hard limit in SW is 255, but this is not a useful number in any practical deployment.

• 8.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Nov 14, 2012 05:36 PM

Hello Oharms

You know i had a case open about this

And as you said there is no official documentation that tell you anything about this.   IT is too much issue to request this test for official numbers to aruba?

The tac engineer told me that it depends on the throughput for example if i got 20 users behind the rap2 they will share an uplink of 4 mbs which okay i understand that but i was insisting him that what about the hardwre? does rap2 hardware support that many user going through ?

We were needing this for quoting some clients but its really hard to tell i guess... i mean the price from a rap2 to rap 5 is a lot...

Rap3 is not available as the firmware is not available yet and even if you get the firmwre which is a beta, is not recommended for production enviroments....So then we cant sell rap3 yet...

And as you though for the site that has 20 users  i though in a rap3 but we cannot sll it yet hehe

This numbers can help in quoting... does not need to be exact just like dont put more than X ammount of users... or something like it a guidance will help...

I think RAP is just a GREAT device, as like i have said to many clients its simple, the deployment its simple, the maintanice is simple everything is simple with RAPs... less money is needed for operation, as anyone can deploy the rap, and if something happen to it and it need to be replace then anyone can put it, is not like with a firewall that it might be more complicated....

I really like raps and i wish i can start selling and installing  a lot of those :)

• 9.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2012 05:59 PM

The TAC engineer is right. The numbers I provided as guidance will effectively result in an average throughput capacity per client of 500kbps to 1Mbps. If you don't need that, you can support more clients, but it's really not recommended to go above 50 or so per radio on any platform, and for RAP-2 that number may be even lower. 20 clients should be ok, but the per-client throughput will not be great.

• 10.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Nov 14, 2012 10:42 PM

ill just fallow the guideline you suggesting as i see it like a good advice... and thats how i was seeing it.

The bad thing is that i wish i could use RAP3 right now but oh well the quote for the place of many users will be with the rap5 for now... we really dont want a complain as we actually really rarely get any or almost none with our deployments with aruba...

Anywyas Oharms your words are really appreaciated!

Cheers

Carlos

• 11.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Dec 02, 2012 05:42 PM

Hello Oharms

I know you said that as a guideline you would suggest 5, 20 and 50, for rap2, rap3 and rap 5

I have been thinking that if i got like a remote office of 50 users...  with the rap5 ill not cover all them wirelessly... and i cannot put Normal APS through that tunnel as is not a supported scenario.

So for that number of users maybe if they need wireless all over also, you can deploy a aruban controller maybe a 620 to cover the place and also you would have the option of a vpn tunnel site to site and you could build a GRE tunnel inside IPSEC tunnel...to extend the corporate network to the branch....

Would that be a better aproach?

What would you do?
    In what cases you would use a rap 5 over a controller 620 for example?

There are this situation in which there are really small office with 30 users and which with just the rap5 im able to cover all of them... If i put it in a well place...

Anyways awaiting for your comments :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 12.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2012 04:18 PM
    Thanks, What about APs 93, 105 and 135?

Regards

• 13.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2012 04:29 PM

10, 15 and 40Mbps (in that order)

• 14.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2013 12:32 PM

Hey oharms

I've just seen that a new RAP has been announced (RAP-100). What IPSec throughput does it support?

Thanks

• 15.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2013 01:53 PM

The RAP-108 and RAP-109 do not have dedicated crypto hardware, and have similar crypto performance as RAP-3 (20Mbps or better).

• 16.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Mar 21, 2013 09:57 AM

HI All,

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I thought it might be useful to have this information in one place.

Could you let me know the IPSEC through put of some other APs?

AP61, AP65, AP68 & AP125

Thanks

James

• 17.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2013 05:46 PM

Indications (not committed numbers):

- AP-125: 150Mbps

- AP-68: 10Mbps

- AP-65: 4Mbps

- AP-61: 4Mbps

Thanks,

/Onno Harms

• 18.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Mar 22, 2013 05:06 AM

Excellent. Thanks Onno.

• 19.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Sep 19, 2013 11:29 AM

@oharms wrote:

The RAP-108 and RAP-109 do not have dedicated crypto hardware, and have similar crypto performance as RAP-3 (20Mbps or better).

Do you know the crypto performance of the RAP155?  Thanks.

• 20.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Jun 13, 2014 02:00 PM

I'm reviving this thread, since we need to find a replacement product for the RAP-5WN that has equivalent or better IP-sec throughput.  Any thoughts?   We'd like to find the most affordable product to meet our needs as this is going to be for our home teleworkers.

Thanks!

• 21.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Jun 20, 2014 01:02 PM

RAP-155 is the replacement for the RAP-5WN... IPSEC throughput of 100 Mbps per one of the engineers.

#RAP155

• 22.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Jun 25, 2015 09:48 AM

Sorry for the bump, but what kind of traffic is this used for? Is this only applicable for the double encrypt and/or wired data?

I've done some throughput tests on AP215 and with RAP mode I'm getting about 150mbps in tunnel mode. According to what I've read only the IPSEC header is added?

• 23.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Mar 22, 2016 05:57 AM

Hi!

I need to bump this thread, I think I´ve seen a matrix of the different AP models maximum IPSEC throughput but now it is nowhere to be found.

Can anyone please post it here or point me in the right direction? I´m interested in the VPN throughput of these models: 103, 105, 205, 215, 225. Thanx in advance!

Cheers,
    Chris

• 24.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2016 10:22 AM
      |   view attached

See attached...

Attachment(s)

• 25.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Mar 22, 2016 10:40 AM

Perfect, thank you!

• 26.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Jun 30, 2017 09:03 AM

@jhoward wrote:

See attached...

It's even better... Tested on a 200mbit connection, we measured:

* Around 105-110Mb/s for an AP-225

* Around 160-170Mb/s for an AP-325.

There's about 15% overhead, so on the (theoretical) 200Mb/s line, the maximum is about 170Mb/s, so the AP-325 isn't maxed out.

• 27.  RE: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Posted Aug 12, 2013 03:18 AM

Hi,

Does the AP-93H have the same IPSec throughput as AP-93? Seems impossible to find the answer in any datasheets...